• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

PSA : Cutting Veneer? Try this!

All these years, I have struggled to cut veneer to shape. I am talking both bare veneer or the paper-backed one. I have a bunch of these in various sizes (courtesy CL sales) that I use for various purposes, like covering up plywood or mdf etc.

The problem has always been cutting the big sheet to approximate size for ease of handling. Once laminated to the ply with contact-cement, cutting it down to exact size is easy. Cutting just the veneer has always been fraught with uncertainty - the table saw sometimes chews it up, box-cutters take a lot of time and effort, etc.

Not any longer - last week I was wandering the aisles of Harbor Freight (the only store where I go from hunter to gatherer ) and picked these up :
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_17597.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	800950
    Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

And boy they are a delight! The blurb says these will be the last scissors you'll every buy, and they sure does seem to do it all. They cut thru the paper-backed veneer so easily, like regular scissors cuts thru paper : I had no trouble following a straight line I drew on the veneer, and did not even have to use excess pressure. (Btw, regular scissors bind up with veneer - yes, I've tried!)

I think the shape must make a difference. The steel used did not seem to be extraordinarily different. But for $3.99, they are a great buy!
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
Working...