• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Flood tool update

After the flood I let several electric tools that had been submerged dry out for a few days and then tried them. Both drills, compressor, HF DC, both belt disc sanders, spindle sander, and the Bosch router all worked fine. The only initial failures were a Ryobi scroll saw and my Rockwell M-100 router.

During the cleanup and shop repair I needed to use the Bosch. When I turned it on I got a buzz. I turned the collet and it started to run but very slowly and had a burning smell. Tore it down, cleaned everything out, replaced the bearings, and put it back together. Same results so I sent it to the Bosch service center. Estimate for repair was more than the cost of a new kit. I had them ship it back to me. Bosch paid the shipping both ways! I found a used kit at a pawn shop for $140 that is the later version with the aluminum housings. The few screws and the 1/2" collet that were missing I was able to salvage from the old router/bases. I stripped the old unit for potentially needed parts and will take the rest to the local recycler.

My compressor died out twice and I took the motor to a local shop. They cleaned it up and found a short developed due to corrosion that was easy to fix. Total cost of $356 for 1/2 hr. labor.

Tore down, cleaned, replaced bearings, and reassembled the Rockwell M-100 and she runs like a new router.

DC motor locked up on me. When I unbolted the impeller housing from the motor water ran out. Figured it was a goner for sure. Broke the motor down, dried and cleaned it, put it back together and it is running great! Did a general cleaning on the rest of the DC including turning the lower bag inside out, hosing it down good, and letting it dry in the sun. After everything was back together I ran the DC for about an hour to make sure the bags were good and dry.

I worked over the scroll saw on Wednesday and it is back up and running.

Still to be cleaned are the spindle sander and belt/disc sanders. Once they are done I will take the jointer and edge sander off their bases to clean up and work over the bases. The motors on both of them are high enough to have stayed dry.

All things considered, I came out lucky on tools. The plywood on the work deck is going to have to be replaced. That is going to be the biggest expense. I am keeping an eye out on Craigslist for a deal but no luck so far.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

I'm glad you had such good luck, Don. Great job on rehabbing those motors!
    JR

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

I wonder if a good dousing with mineral oil would stave off any further corrosion, and maybe get some of the moving parts to move easier.
      Erik

Comment

Working...