• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Festool AT 65E

I dont necessarily want to open up the whole Festool debate but wondered if anybody owns or knows about the AT 65E saw. it is discontinued at this point.

I have seen a used one which the seller still wants $280 for and I wonder if this is worth it. He says he has a bunch of the track and clamps but I dont know if that is included or extra.

I do break down all sheet goods before bringing into the shop and then cut to exact size on the TS. I have always used one of my basic circular saws or jigsaw and wonder whether having something like this would be worth it or not.
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Originally posted by I saw that!
    If all you need is to reduce panels, will your supplier not cut them down to manageable TS size for you after purchase? Around here, they will do so with their panel saws for a nominal fee or sometimes free. It would take a lot of cuts to add up to $200+.
    Good point sometimes I do think we should belong to Tools Anonymous!

Aaarrg but shiny new (even slightly used) tools are sooooo much fun. To be honest sometimes even pretty beat up old tools
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com

Comment

• bigstick509
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Macomb, MI, USA.
      • BT3100

Not a Festool track owner but I do have a Dewalt track saw system. IMO a good track saw is well worth that kind of money. Many virtually eliminate need for a table saw except for narrow rip cuts. I use a custom Festool multi top MFT with there varies clamps, some parf-quas and veritas dogs. Could not be happier.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• jussi
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007

I have the TS 55 but did have an ATF 55 before that. Which I believe is a very similar saw except for the blade size and perhaps the motor size. If it comes with the track then it's worth it. Otherwise no. The main differences between it and the newer models are the metal base plate, fixed power cords, and square exhaust. Also I think they use the older tracks which may or may not be compatible with current models (and other current tools).

One huge benefit a track saw has over a tablesaw is being able to square large panels. I'm talking about panels too large to fit on a sled or miter gauge. And if you make or buy a MFT (multi function table) it really speeds things up. It can also produce finish ready cuts. Which is important to me because sometimes the finished panels are too large and I don't feel uncomfortable taking to a tablesaw. That said if it can fit comfortably on my tablesaw, I'm using it. Nothing beats the speed and repeatability.
        I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

Working...