Chicago Electric #98194 SCMS long term review.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Chicago Electric #98194 SCMS long term review.

I have had this saw for several years, and have used it quite extensively and I think I have found, and worked the bugs out of it, more or less. I have a write up on my blog of course athttp://daves-workshop.blogspot.com/2...2-sliding.html but to summarize...

The blade and dust collection issues I noted early on hold as true today as they did then, which is why I built the dust hood. I don't find the dust collection to be any worse than other sliders I have been around, but it sure could be better. The OEM blade is scary bad, at least the one I had. I opted for a Diablo D1280X, a newer option is the new Marples blade from Irwin that is getting good reviews as well, and their are much higher dollar options to boot, but I won't even bother going into those, you won't be looking at say a Forrest blade on a Harbor Freight miter saw I suspect...

The biggest issue I have had is the fact that the saw kept sliding out of its settings. And one of the set screws that holds the head in place fell out. I found out quickly that there was no thread locker used at the factory. Pulling the bolts, dabbing the locker on, then putting the bolts back in fixed the problem.

All in all I am happy with the saw, it cuts accurately and cleanly, I have built several mitered picture frames with it, and my corners have all been nice and tight... My 22.5s, 45s, and 90s are where I expect them, I can crosscut wide pieces. Overall I am good to go!
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
Working...