• Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Mixing HVLP guns and turbines?

For work, we have a rewards program whereby we get points and then can spend them in an online store for merchandise and other things. I've been eyeing an Earlex 5500 HVLP system for a while, and I finally have enough points to pick it up!

But I also see that the "store" we can order things through also has just the gun from the 5500 available, as well as the various size needles.

Here's the thing, I have a Graco until that's much like the other $100 all plastic entry level versions from HF, Rockler, and Wagner.

Since the hose on the Graco and the Earlex systems are both friction fit into the guns, I'm wondering if maybe I can just get the Earlex gun for half the cost, and use my Graco turbine to drive that gun. Then I get the better performing gun for HVLP, but I can forgo the cost of the Earlex turbine.

Or does the Earlex HVLP gun need more CFMs than the Graco turbine can push, making it necessary to get the whole setup?

Either way, I'm getting something for free (well kinda, if you don't count the fact that I've been working looong hours on the project for which the points were awarded). But still, there's that opportunity cost with spending twice as much for the whole system rather then just getting the gun.

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Travis
  • Habe
    Established Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Indianapolis, IN, USA.

Why not get the complete system and then sell the old system to a fellow wood worker. Then you both have a good deal.
    Habe

Comment

• BigguyZ
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2006
      • Minneapolis, MN
      • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Bump. Anyone have any experience?

Comment

• TB Roye
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Sacramento, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

Just ordered one from Amazon last night will be here Wednesday with Prime. Got some extra tips and the cleaning kit which will be here Tuesday. BIL ordered his at the Woodworking show a couple of weeks ago will be shipped on Wednesday. Have a lot of woodwork, doors and baseboards to paint. If it was me i would get the whole kit and sell the old one like was suggested.

Tom

Comment

• TB Roye
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Sacramento, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

Got my Earlex 5500 this evening. Took it out to shop and unpacked it. The gun is nice all metal and professional looking, came with a paint mixing tool for you drill, small cleaning kit and a Manual and DVD. The DVD is excellent covers every thing. The handle is not as long(Tall) as the pictures or DVD and the hose storage is not that great could have been taller. Nest week I start paint all the trim and door in hallway. It will be great for pre painting baseboard when I install the new flooring.

Tom

Comment

Working...