Kreg Router Table - Any opinions on them?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wd4lc
    Established Member
    • Nov 2008
    • Houston, TX
    • Ryobi BT3100-1

Kreg Router Table - Any opinions on them?

I'm looking at a Kreg router table. Not the high end one. This one. KREG Precision Benchtop Portable Router Table PRS2100

Does anyone own one personally or know of someone who does? Looking for some trusted opinions on this model. I see on Amazon that the reviews are mixed but moreso favorable. However some have had issues with a bowing fence and even a bowing router plate insert.

Thoughts? Do you think the value is there?

Thanks.
  • greenacres2
    • Dec 2011
    • La Porte, IN
    • Ryobi BT3000

Every Kreg tool I have is very well done, and the customer service is excellent. That said--i'd suggest a look at the Grizzly Router table (http://www.grizzly.com/products/Rout...h-Stand/T10432) for a very good value. The replacement router mounting plate (not pre-drilled, nor is the one with the table) is $13.00 or so, making having two or three routers set up on their own plates for a project very affordable, click on Purchase Parts on the Router Table page. This table gets a lot of play on the RouterForums.com site, and rarely a negative comment there.

Your mileage may vary.

earl

Comment

• Crockett
      Established Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Buffalo, NY, USA.
      • BT3100

I've had the stand-up rolling version of the Kreg table for the past 6 or 7 years. While I can't comment on the specific one you are looking at, I would just say that my experience with Kreg products has been very positive. I haven't had one set back of any kind. Worth the money I spent.
      Al

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

I too have no experience with that particular table. But, I've made many router tables, and with some of the accessory hardware available, making your own to your own needs might serve you better, and could cost a lot less.

Comment

• wd4lc
          Established Member
          • Nov 2008
          • Houston, TX
          • Ryobi BT3100-1

I have built a router table insert for the BT3 (plans provided by a member in this forum). I finally decided that it would just be easier to have a standalone version. In the past I've looked over the idea of building one but concluded that I wanted to buy one if I found a good deal....simply as I think it will be better quality that way and no second guessing (this view would probably be different for a more confident woodworker).

Hmm, that Grizzly looks pretty darn solid and a floor model to boot.

Let me ask this. What would you all think if that Kreg table could be had for $145? Would it be a no-brainer at that point or would you still consider the Grizzly and/or other brands instead of that table?

Thanks.

Comment

• Brian G
            • Jun 2003
            • Bloomington, Minnesota.
            • G0899

I don't have user experience with either, but if the price was equal I would chooose the Kreg because of the extra features it offers. The plate leveling system, edge jointing option, and fence features are the difference, in my opinion. I watched a few youtube videos and came away impressed with it.

If you have floor space, then a floor model is worth considering. On the other hand, the benchtop lets you put it on a shelf without having to horse around a heavy piece of equipment.

Good luck with your choice.
            Brian

Comment

• durango dude
              • Mar 2011
              • a thousand or so feet above insanity
              • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I've never used a Kreg tool that I didn't like.

At $145 - I'd likely take the Kreg over the Grizzly - but the Grizzly is a darn good deal.

I have a nice slab of counter-top waiting to become a router table - and will likely be using the Veritas® Base Plate/Table Insert

Comment

Working...