X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JSUPreston
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Montgomery, AL.
    • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Looking for an accessory

I've watched with envy for years how Nahm was always able to get his screws to stay on his drill/driver. I know the trick was the magnetic ring from the Jack Rabbit kit that he used.

I just looked at their site, and it's $10 for just the ring, plus shipping. They show out of stock on it. I was wondering if anyone had found an alternative to this. Other than the ring, their is really nothing special about the kit that I can see.
    "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

How about a magnetic bit holder? $3-$4 at any hardware store.
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• JSUPreston
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Montgomery, AL.
      • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

I've got a couple of those, but they don't seem to be quite strong enough.
      "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Cochese
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2010

Everywhere that has something similar shows out of stock. I wonder if it fell prey to the same reasoning that got Buckyballs banned.

Comment

• BigguyZ
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2006
          • Minneapolis, MN
          • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Buckyballs are banned?

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by BigguyZ
            Buckyballs are banned?
            The CPSC put enough pressure on the company for them to be retired. So illegal? Not so much. But you'll be hard-pressed to find a legitimate company selling them now.

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/1...-discontinued/

The companies who decided to continue making them were getting sued, the last best info I have.

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

I use magnetic bit holders (DeWalt) that also have a retaining ring. They're not just a slip fit for the bit.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

It could also be a supply issue. China has a huge monopoly on rare earth metals and has restricted their distribution greatly.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/c...d-bonanza.html

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

Never tried to pick up a bunch of screws, like I saw on the Jack Rabbit site last night. (by the way, a link would have been good, since that term brings up a lot of non family friendly stuff, LOL)
                  But I was thinking, I have had stronger magnets, in some of my bit holders, that weren't branded (hardware store counter), then the shelved ones. Also thought about the old magnets that Radio Shack used to sell with a hole in the center (ceramic though). I think it might be easier to either get a deeper bit holder, and glue in your own magnet, or to use some old (like the hard drive from another post) magnet, on the outside of your chuck.
                  Then bit quality also makes a difference, and I have had much better luck with just using square (what they are normally sold as) drive screws. Robertson's (trademark, requires licensing and spec matching) are supposed to keep their fit on the driver.
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• frumper64
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Garland, Tx, USA.

I volunteer with an organization that builds wheelchair ramps for folks on the weekends, mainly using 3" deck screws. There is simply no comparison between square drives and phillips head drives. The square drive bits don't round out the heads like phillips do and are much easier to use. We go through hundreds of screws on each ramp and I don't remember the last time I stripped a screw head.
                    Jim
                    64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

Working...