• Show
Clear All
  • Carpenter96
    Established Member
    • Aug 2011
    • Barrie ON Canada
    • BT 3000

Anyone have the Ridgid 4512

Hi I was wondering if anyone has a 4512 table saw, and what are your thoughts on it? One has been offered to me. Regards Bob
  • greenacres2
    • Dec 2011
    • La Porte, IN
    • Ryobi BT3000

I have the "brother"--Craftsman 21833. Waffled between it and the 4512. Buying retail, it came down to net pricing. The 4512 has a 13 amp motor and the dado throat plate was not included, 21833 has a 15 amp and the dado plate. There may be other subtle differences one way or another.

Bottom line, again buying new--HD would only take 10% off the $499 price and adding the dado throat plate brought the pre-tax total to $478. Buying the 21833 online for store pickup the pre-tax was around $365 with a few wierd discounts i found.

Would depend on the "offer". I like mine a lot and would have been just as happy with the Ridgid version. Passes the nickel test with ease, and with the right blade cuts very smoothly. The fence system was okay, but i never got it dialed in. Just installed an Incra TS-LS over the weekend--wow. Blade changes are easy, the riving knife really easy to work with, the blade guard and pawls are on/off with ease. Compared to removing/replacing the riving knife on my BT3000--i felt like a world opened up to me.

Rolling base is smooth, and it plants itself nicely when the wheels are lifted. Steel wings are solid, though one out of the box was a little off. I called Sears service and had a replacement the next day (we only live 60 miles from Chicago, so ground ship is one day). Ripped a pair of 8/4 x 12" x 9' poplar boards down to 3 1/4" widths yesterday with ease and not a full 64th" variation anywhere (not bad starting with a 50 pound board), the 2nd and 3rd rips were about dead on since the workpiece got easier to handle and it got lighter!! I don't think the variation was the saw's fault.

Negatives--it's not a cabinet saw, but so far so good. Little stuff--the blade/wrench storage spot on the side is so hard to reach that i'll fab up a easier to reach wrench storage. Dust collection is adequate, but with the split blade guard it kicks some of the "fines" up. The BT3000 guard was awesome when collected to a DC, but not as convenient to R & R so it's a trade. Other than that, i'm okay with it--especially for the money.

Good luck.

earl

Comment

• tommyt654
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2008

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=Ridg...w=1280&bih=597 lots too look at from many sources

Comment

Working...