Ryobi Gems

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • woodturner
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2008
    • 2049
    • Western Pennsylvania
    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

    #16
    Found an interesting discussion of RAS
    http://www.woodworking.com/ww/Articl...lete_4877.aspx

    The book/video I referenced early about how to make jigs to do precise joinery on a RAS is Radial Arm Saw Joinery by Curtis Erpelding, published by Taunton Press. Looks like it is out of print but readily available at libraries and in the used book marketplace.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

    Comment

    • cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • 2812
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

      #17
      Woodturner,

      No, I'm not familiar with it, other than seeing a picture of it, and reading of it. Also noting that it was on a recall, though I don't know why... then the recall doesn't sway my opinion one way or another because my Craftsman has been recalled too.

      I do know the RA2500 has a higher RPM, but that may be on the accessory, but I don't know either way.

      My response (meant in good humour) to your "argueably" was simply that you can generally take a dozen guys and, especially when it comes to the RAS, they will all "argue" as the best points of thier tool of choice. (nothing more was meant ).

      CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

      Comment

      • cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • 15216
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

        #18
        Originally posted by greenacres2

        As i do my rearrangement, my RAS table will be raised about a quarter inch so it's the same height as the table saw--and will be better able to serve as an outfeed for the TS (at least for boards, i don't know that it will work for panels) while the TS will be able to serve as stock support for the RAS.

        earl
        You could get use with your right side table as a support for the right side of the RAS table. That arrangement has never been the best solution, and not recommended for a few reasons. Your TS can butt up to a wall on its right side if its at the end of the fence. IOW, you most likely wouldn't be cutting sheet goods that needed more table than the capacity of the fence you have on it.

        What that does though, is it makes your table saw a walk around. Most shops benefit from a free standing table saw. For the height needed to create a level surface for both tables, it may put the RAS in an uncomfortable operating position.

        .

        Comment

        • cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • 2812
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

          #19
          My RAS is central to my little basement shop and is pretty much dedicated to cross-cutting only. Though in the past I have ripped with it (only big power tool I had when I built my deck, and I ripped all the 2 x stock for the rail ballusters), that task is now done by the BT or my hand-held circular saw.

          My basement shop is divided into two rooms, with a 4-ft wide doorway joining them. Since this is was meant only as a temp situation (now six years), I simply didn't wish to redefine the given space.

          So the RAS is angled in its position to allow 14+ feet of infeed from the left side (through that doorway), and a little more than 6 feet of outfeed on the right. The fence is extended, and designed with an adjustable stop on the measure-taped outfeed fence, which allows for up to 50-inches. For the infeed, I use one or two roller stands, as required.

          The RAS table surface is at 39-1/2 inches, which is approx. an inch higher than my BT. That is a good height for me, as I have a damaged neck, which makes anything lower a pain for any lengthy operation.

          For me, the RAS is my most loved tool. I've had it since new in 1973, and I learned to use one (and old DeWalt) in highschool. My thinking is that I would never want a shop without one. As it is now, almost every piece of wood that gets cut, see's the RAS at one time or another... I very rarely will do any cross-cutting, other than squaring something wider than 14-inches.

          CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

          Comment

          • Bill in Buena Park
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2007
            • 1867
            • Buena Park, CA
            • CM 21829

            #20
            Not sure if the OP owns any of the Craftsman C3 tools - all re-branded Ryobi. The Craftsman biscuit joiner is also re-branded Ryobi. I'm sure there are many others.
            Bill in Buena Park

            Comment

            • greenacres2
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2011
              • 633
              • La Porte, IN
              • Ryobi BT3000

              #21
              Right now, the RAS table is 1/4" lower than the TS height, so a layer of hardboard on the top would even them out. Don't know the numbers off the top of my head, but it's a very comfortable height for me. Except for last Saturday--when i needed to split a pair of 8/4 x 12" x 17' 9" poplar boards...i was thinking i should put the RAS on the floor!!

              CW--have you posted pictures of your RAS fence? I'd like to see the design.

              earl

              Comment

              • cwsmith
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • 2812
                • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                • BT3100-1

                #22
                Actually I have posted three pictures in a discussion last year. I just did a search and here is the link:

                http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...ght=RAS&page=2

                I think I have a couple of other pictures in my "tool photo library", so if you have any further interest after seeing the above, please don't hesitate to ask.

                CWS
                Think it Through Before You Do!

                Comment

                • cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • 15216
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

                  #23
                  Originally posted by cwsmith
                  Actually I have posted three pictures in a discussion last year. I just did a search and here is the link:

                  http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...ght=RAS&page=2

                  I think I have a couple of other pictures in my "tool photo library", so if you have any further interest after seeing the above, please don't hesitate to ask.

                  CWS
                  I like that stop. Very creative, and a lot less than the one from Biesemeyer.

                  .

                  Comment

                  • cwsmith
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • 2812
                    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

                    #24
                    Thanks!

                    Funny because it was only after using the RAS for a few decades that finally I got a "flash".... like DUH! this measuring every single cut is getting ridiculous.

                    So now, I simply set the mark at the desired measure, twist the knob and I'm good to go... any number of pieces at exactly the right length!

                    Except for the T-track, bolt, and knob (Rockler accessory kit) everything is scrap. The little window is cut from a broken CD case. The actual "stick" is very simple: 3/4 x 3/4 roughly and two screws to hold it to the clamp block. Make it long, move the mark to "Zero" on the T-track, and cut it and you are "zero'd in". That longer stop allows me to get under the motor, and if I want to add another 10 inches to my existing fence capacity, I simply replace it with the shorter stub which I show in one of the pictures. As it is, my outfeed (right of carriage) is limited by space, and I need to get over to where the electrical panel is located; hence my 50-inch limitation to the right.

                    CWS
                    Last edited by cwsmith; 03-15-2013, 03:55 PM.
                    Think it Through Before You Do!

                    Comment

                    • greenacres2
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2011
                      • 633
                      • La Porte, IN
                      • Ryobi BT3000

                      #25
                      Originally posted by cwsmith
                      Actually I have posted three pictures in a discussion last year. I just did a search and here is the link:

                      http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...ght=RAS&page=2

                      I think I have a couple of other pictures in my "tool photo library", so if you have any further interest after seeing the above, please don't hesitate to ask.

                      CWS
                      Shoot, your pics were in a thread i started!! I had it bookmarked, time passed and i totally forgot. I only remember that i want to build a longer fence when i'm cutting something longer 5 or 6 feet!!

                      Comment

                      Working...