• Show
Clear All
  • Ian57
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2012
    • Cocoa, Fl.
    • Delta 34-455 Contractors Saw

value your opinion

Have any of you guys used this http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1
    Would really appreciate any feed back.
    Cheers
    Ian
  • conwaygolfer
    Established Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Conway, SC.
    • BT3000

I prefer one with wheels for easy moving around the shop. The price is pretty good on that one though. Maybe you could add a set of wheels?

Conwaygolfer

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by conwaygolfer
      I prefer one with wheels for easy moving around the shop. The price is pretty good on that one though. Maybe you could add a set of wheels?

Conwaygolfer
      I second that 200%. Without the wheels, most people will have to set it up, add the miter saw or other and take it off each time you set it up. Unless you are muscular enough to tote it with everything mounted. Wheels allow you to leave it mounted and make for easy moving around.

I have the HF one and while good for a cheap set up, it is still a pain. But at least it moves around fairly easy and I can leave my miter saw on at all times. Although I have the HF one, a very good that is easy to set up, take down and move around one is my next tool. I do realize that what I am looking for is in the $200+ range. But for now, the HF with wheels does fair.

OTOH, if you leave it in one place and set up all the time, it would probably do fine.
      Last edited by leehljp; 11-24-2012, 09:19 AM.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Crockett
        Established Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Buffalo, NY, USA.
        • BT3100

Hi Ian,
        I don't have that model but love having one! I use my miter saw a lot and having a stand and adjustable stops saves me so much time and aggravation. Great for making repeatable cuts, got the saw off of my bench and in a dedicated area of the shop (without spending a lot of time making something on my own for it). The price is great - I spent $200 on the model I have

take care
        Al

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

That stand is very much like (but not exactly) the Ryobi foldable stand. Same specs and very similar mounting brackets for the saw.

I own the Ryobi, and have had it for several years now. While it is extremely sturdy and portable enough, if you don't mind carrying that 40-plus pounds of steel just for the stand. The attachments like the "roller-like" supports with stops, I have to carry separately; plus the CMS mounted on the rails (also separately).

Once you've got it setup and in position it's great, but you've got to dismount everything in order to move it to another location. So, if you're like me and basically only do this kind of thing occasionally, and then do it "on the spot", will work fine for you.

But as others have mentioned, if you're doing this a lot (like you're a contractor), the lack of "wheels" is a bit inconvenient.

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Ian57
            Forum Newbie
            • Sep 2012
            • Cocoa, Fl.
            • Delta 34-455 Contractors Saw

Wheels

I plan to have it in the workshop most of the time so being able to move it is not a big problem. However I think I will look at the possibility of adding wheeels at some stage.
            Cheers
            Ian

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

I have the Ryobi and I should mention that I bought it as an open box return for 1/2 price ($50). I bought it as a take to the project (family stuff) stand, and I know they have appreciated the fact that it doesn't have wheels (track mud/dirt in with you).
              I do wonder if they still do the $99 sale on the new Ridgid MSUV? (it has wheels) The old one used to go on sale once or twice a year for that.
              I don't use my stand inside, and figure I will CL it when everyone is done (have a older MSUV for when I get a larger saw). These won't take 12" sliders if they are like mine.
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2007
                • Buena Park, CA
                • CM 21829

Ian,
                Another vote for the unit with wheels. When you do need to move it, wheels make a big difference.

I own this BORG Ridgid version: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.ULErO4d9LA0

But this Kobalt version from Lowe's seems a more economical alternative: http://www.lowes.com/pd_237980-46069...3824169&rpp=32
                Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

A miter station with support for long workpieces and stops for cutting is great! But I never bought one of those.

I made my own, chronicled here:
                  http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...=miter+station
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

I agree, miter saw stands with wheels and folds, makes it more convenient. This one is priced about right.

Comment

Working...