X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tohellwithuga
    Established Member
    • Jan 2007
    • GA

Thanks for all of the comments! I certainly have a higher respect and better understanding of my dad's life after going through his tools. It's funny, but I actually feel closer to him now than I have in years. Seeing the things he kept, how he "organized", what he used most, etc. - I'm realizing that we had more in common than I really knew.

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your father.

I'm very glad of course that you now have these tools and will cherish them. But as I look at the pictures it makes me sad, in rememberance of my father. Like your Dad, mine had hundreds of tools and many that I see in those pictures were the same. As a teen, I spent many hours working with my Dad in his jack-of-all-trades "extra work" during evenings and on weekends. So many tools do I remember, his instructions, and just watching him work with them, as I helped and learned.

I'm not sure I appreciated all that work back then. But the memories are there.

My Dad was sick for some time, and we often talked about the jobs we did together. After he passed, my mother told me that all the tools were mine... but by then there was nothing! My kid brother had taken everything, sold it or did whatever with it. My Dad suspected such, my mother knew nothing, and my brother denies everything.

I'm glad you have your Dad's tools. Cherish them for their value... not their price!

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

My sympathies as well... cherish the tools for their link and history.
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• eezlock
          • Feb 2006
          • Charlotte,N.C.
          • BT3100

my Dad's tools

Sorry to hear about the passing of your dad. I too, have many of my dad's tools
          even though I did not follow in his trade, I think of him often when I see them
          or use some of them to perform a necessary job. My dad was a master plumber
          for over forty years and owned his own business for at least 35 of those years.

I remember him telling me many times " always put the tools in their proper place
          and take care of them and they will take care of you". He was very particular with his tools
          and equipment and he taught me to be the same way with mine.

It is the legacy left to us by our dads and their memories that are the most important lessons
          that we can learn. Tools may be a way of conveying that
          message to us, because they usually endure long after the passing of a loved one.

Comment

• NewDIYer
            Forum Newbie
            • Jun 2012
            • Southington, CT
            • Ryobi BT3000

Sorry for your loss..

It is indeed sad to hear about your recent loss. These tools will be a constant reminder of the pleasant memories and all the good times you had had with your father.

Stay well!

Comment

• luteman
              Established Member
              • Dec 2007
              • Northern Michigan
              • BT3100-1

So many tools....so many cherished memories!

Please accept my condolences on your deep loss.

Comment

• Turaj
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
                • BT3000 (1998)

Sorry to hear about your loss. Please accept my condolences. Cherish the memories that come with those tools and I am glad to see that those are bringing you closer to your Dad.
                Turaj (in Toronto)
                "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

Working...