• Show
Clear All
  • RichG
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2003
    • Ashland, MA, USA.
    • BT3001

Adding Grizzly Tension Release to Jet 14" BS

As my existing tension release is no longer working (long story) it's time to upgrade and add I've decided to add the Grizzly Quick Release. I've scoured the old threads about this and ordered the parts. I found though that the parts listed by folks previously included 2 of the "140, P0555140, Support Plate". In the diagram of the G0555 (http://cdn0.grizzly.com/partslists/g0555_pl.pdf) there are actually 4 Support Plates displayed. I was thinking maybe the partnumber P0555140 included 2 so when order 2 you actually got 4, I got 2. What is correct here? Should there be 2 installed on either side of the assembly or just 1 on either side?

Also, Anyone know if the the Square Nut "M10-1.5" is something I might be able to source from a hardware store? I found I need one of these too, If I have to order additional Support Plates I'll order the nut from Grizzly, but If I don't it would be a pretty expensive nut once figuring in the shipping costs...

Thanks guys!
    There will be no parking in my shop
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Rich,

I am on the road currently, (In the St Louis area) and away from my G0555. I could be wrong but I will give you what I remember. ON the support plates, I think it takes 4. The reason I say that is that I played with it back in January considerably. In all honesty, I can't remember exactly if it were 2 or 4, but I remember that I was impressed with how beefed up it needed to be to handle the spring and tension. I can't "see" 4 in my mind from memory, but something tells me that it was 4 and needed all 4.

If you are not in a hurry, I will be home very late Saturday night and can check first thing on Sunday AM.

As to the nut, it certainly takes a metric one for sure. IF you can get it at a big hardware/home center it would be cheaper than the shipping costs from Grizzly. I just thought about it - it may be hard to find a square one that is the right outer dimensions.

I have a daughter that lives in Springfield, and can even see Grizzly from her apartment! She doesn't like the place because she thinks I go to Springfield to visit Grizzly rather than her!
    Last edited by leehljp; 05-04-2012, 08:05 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• woodmakeraz
      Forum Newbie
      • Jan 2012
      • Tucson, AZ USA
      • Craftsman

square nut

I live in Tucson and have 20 Ace stores in town, one two blocks away and try there for hardware items first. Most things I find without problems. 'My Ace' will even find an item in the other stores if it is available on them.

Hank:
      I also have a daughter that lives in Springfield close to Grizzly. I am going to Springfield next week to see the granddaughter I have not seen yet but I will get to visit the Grizzly store at least once that week. Hope you have safe travels.

Comment

• Brian G
        • Jun 2003
        • Bloomington, Minnesota.
        • G0899

In the diagram of the G0555 (http://cdn0.grizzly.com/partslists/g0555_pl.pdf) there are actually 4 Support Plates displayed. I was thinking maybe the partnumber P0555140 included 2 so when order 2 you actually got 4, I got 2. What is correct here? Should there be 2 installed on either side of the assembly or just 1 on either side?

I checked my G0555. There is one support plate on each side. I'd appreciate knowing from other G0555 owners what they find. If two are supposed to be on each side, then I'm missing two plates.
        Brian

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

even without looking I am sure I only have 2.
          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

I arrived home from St Louis at 12:30 AM and just went and checked.

Mine has 4. These are 2 pairs of 2. Two are doubled up on each side of the support. Each one would be too thin to support a side by itself, IMO. I have a feeling that those of you that have 2 instead of 4 - your 2 are beefier than these on the G0555P that I just bought in December.
            Hank Lee

Comment

• Brian G
              • Jun 2003
              • Bloomington, Minnesota.
              • G0899

Thanks for checking. The thickness of the plates on my G0555 is 1.8mm, or about 15 guage. I looked in the manual, and the parts diagram shows two plates.

I wonder if there was an issue with having only two plates, such that Grizzly changed to four.
              Brian

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Brian G
                Thanks for checking. The thickness of the plates on my G0555 is 1.8mm, or about 15 guage. I looked in the manual, and the parts diagram shows two plates.

I wonder if there was an issue with having only two plates, such that Grizzly changed to four.
                With mine, G0555P, (4 plates, 2 stacked per side) 2 together are 0.172 (+/-.001/.002) inch or 4.37 mm thick on my BS.

Evidently, they moved from 1 thick plate per side to 2 thinner plates per side.
                Hank Lee

Comment

• RichG
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Apr 2003
                  • Ashland, MA, USA.
                  • BT3001

Thanks Hank,

I was thinking the plates I've received might be too thin so I'll order another pair and double them up.
                  There will be no parking in my shop

Comment

• Black wallnut
                    cycling to health
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                    • BT3k 1999

It is strange that they would make this change, makes no sense. Perhaps Loring can 'splain it.......?
                    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

Working...