X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DLyon
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006

Genesis Muti-Tool

I've got a few projects ahead that a mutil-tool might help with (Bathroom remodel, hardwood floor patching). Any opinions on the Genesis brand multi-tool? It has solid reviews on Amazon and the price is great. I don't need a tool that will last a lifetime, but don't want junk either.

http://www.amazon.com/Genesis-GMT15A...4074740&sr=1-1
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Looks like a Tool Shop one. For that price, I'd rather get the HF one. At least you can use the 20% off coupon, and it's more of a known tool. I'd put Tool Shop powers tools as sub- HF tools. Not a fan.

Comment

• jseklund
      Established Member
      • Aug 2006

I have one of these. I got it because I wanted to try out the multi-tools and didn't want to spend $300 to try the Fein.

I've had it for a few years and used it on a couple things with no problems. I am now using it in an extensive remodel and it's been good. It's quite loud, and maybe not as smooth and powerful as I would imagine a more expensive one would be - but it gets the job done.

As has been stated with all these tools - it can chew up blades quickly (especially if you hit a nail), and the blades are expensive. This tool will accept the bosch blades, however, so you can get expensive replacements locally.

Also - you will always find yourself using this in a spot that has nails that you need to watch out for! haha.
      F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by BigguyZ
        Looks like a Tool Shop one. For that price, I'd rather get the HF one. At least you can use the 20% off coupon, and it's more of a known tool. I'd put Tool Shop powers tools as sub- HF tools. Not a fan.
        +1. I bought the HF model just to try it out. For the money, it did projects that no other tool would do. I have no complaints about it, and would buy another if need be.

Comment

• sweensdv
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • WI
          • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

+2 on the HF version. For the amount of usage the average person would give a tool like that I can't see spending any more than necessary on one.

Comment

• eezlock
            • Feb 2006
            • Charlotte,N.C.
            • BT3100

Genesis multi tool

I don't have any experience with that brand of tool or any other except the
            one from HF. The HF brand one, seems to be a decent tool for the money and
            has always done what I needed to have done at the time. I think that the
            majority of those tools come from two or three different factories in China
            and the they are basically the same except for color, name and price.

Comment

• conscience
              Forum Newbie
              • May 2011
              • Atlanta, GA
              • BT 3000

I've got the Dremel and the HF versions. Other than noise (and price) there isn't a ton of difference. The HF blades are significantly cheaper than the Dremel ones and they aren't interchangeable so I tend to use the HF more.

I can't imagine the Genesis one being any louder or heavier than the HF one, and the price seems right. The only thing is blade availability, although it may match one of the blades sold at your local hardware stores.

Comment

Working...