• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Gorilla Gripper isn't for me!

I got a Gorilla Gripper just after Christmas but have not used it until today. Gorilla Gripper here.

I purchased a couple of sheets of 1/2 in OSB from HomeDepot this morning. I parked under the car port and decide to use the GG to carry them to the storage shed, about 100 feet. I couldn't hold two sheets even though the GG could. I could barely pick them up with the GG, but I couldn't carry them. Even with one sheet, it was plum awkward and HEAVY! The GG made them seem heavier than they are - to me. The position of holding at shoulder height was not anywhere as comfortable as I thought it would have been.

Back in January I got a couple of 5/8 in sheets of MDF from Lowes and when I got home, I didn't think of the GG but instead picked up my Stanley panel carrier (Click here to see.) I have used this type for years and it seems a little unwieldy but that sure makes panels easier to carry than the GG does.

Last summer, I sheet rocked the kitchen and carrying those was not a problem for the Stanley panel cutter.

Some of this could be aging and declining muscle usage, but still, the Stanley makes panels easier to carry than the GG.

Anyone else experience the differences?
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

I like mine when I remember to use it. I usually don't try to move more than one piece of material at a time anymore, unless it is pretty light.

I haven't used other types of carriers. How do you get that Stanley under the panel?

I did make a shoe type roller a while back that you would put under one end, but it did not work well in my yard. It broke into pieces under a sheet of 3/4" PT plywood when I hit a thick grass clump.
    Erik

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Probably my worst tool purchase ever made. Doubling up thick gloves would have been better. I bought it thinking I would use it for wood, but mainly because I was helping work on a project with aluminum diamond plate, full 4x8' sheets. I knew how sharp the edges were, but didn't know it wasn't up to the task. (found out there was more then the one version I knew about, the other is adjustable tension) It just wouldn't grab them.
      Used it to pull some sheets of plywood with some splintery ends out of the Ranger once, since.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• phrog
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2005
        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

I don't have a GG but bought a panel carrier at HF a few months ago for around $5. It's all lightweight metal and made the panel much easier to manage. This is it:
        http://www.harborfreight.com/bulk-pa...ier-65582.html
        Last edited by phrog; 03-25-2012, 12:55 PM.
        Richard

Comment

• jdon
          Established Member
          • Feb 2010
          • Snoqualmie, Wash.
          • BT3100

The Gorilla Gripper makes more sense from a physics viewpoint- carrying point above the center of gravity is more stable...

but... from an anatomic view, with the Stanley carrier (or in my case the HF steel counterpart), much of the weight bearing is passive- basically hanging from extended arms- instead of the active muscular work of bearing the weight at shoulder to ear level.

It's much easier carrying a pail of water by its handle than by doing a military press to carry it.

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by jdon
            The Gorilla Gripper makes more sense from a physics viewpoint- carrying point above the center of gravity is more stable...

but... from an anatomic view, with the Stanley carrier (or in my case the HF steel counterpart), much of the weight bearing is passive- basically hanging from extended arms- instead of the active muscular work of bearing the weight at shoulder to ear level.

It's much easier carrying a pail of water by its handle than by doing a military press to carry it.
            You said it better than I did, and LR did too. This is one area (panel carrying) where less stress beats a good center of gravity! I probably would have enjoyed it more 30 years ago when I could still bench press a few pounds! This is a young man's or a strong man's tool. That "pail of water by its handle" analogy is RIGHT ON! Wish I had thought about that before I got it.

LRandal, I saw the different ones but settled on the standard one. My intention was to use it with lots of sheet rock. I did our kitchen last summer and starting this summer will hopefully do a room every 3 months (2 bed rooms, a den, LR and DR. With that much sheet rocking to be done, I figured on using that. But I will definitely use the Stanley or my older HF one.

For those of you with the HF, - HF used to have the same as the Stanley and I have one somewhere. I had it in Japan, and made sure I brought it back with me, if I can only find it now. My Stanley is yellow, the HF is orange.
            Hank Lee

Comment

• Dal300
              Banned
              • Aug 2011
              • East Central Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

My way is easier.....

I have a wife and a neighbor.

Both hate to hear me whine.

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Originally posted by phrog
                I don't have a GG but bought a panel carrier at HF a few months ago for around $5. It's all lightweight metal and made the panel much easier to manage. This is it:
                http://www.harborfreight.com/bulk-pa...ier-65582.html
                +1. Works like a champ. I also use it to lift sheets onto the saw table...get it half way and just rock the sheet over. For moving sheets across a distance of fairly smooth surfaces, I made this roller carrier.

Comment

• Cochese
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2010

Originally posted by leehljp
                  I got a Gorilla Gripper just after Christmas but have not used it until today. Gorilla Gripper here.

I purchased a couple of sheets of 1/2 in OSB from HomeDepot this morning. I parked under the car port and decide to use the GG to carry them to the storage shed, about 100 feet. I couldn't hold two sheets even though the GG could. I could barely pick them up with the GG, but I couldn't carry them. Even with one sheet, it was plum awkward and HEAVY! The GG made them seem heavier than they are - to me. The position of holding at shoulder height was not anywhere as comfortable as I thought it would have been.

Back in January I got a couple of 5/8 in sheets of MDF from Lowes and when I got home, I didn't think of the GG but instead picked up my Stanley panel carrier (Click here to see.) I have used this type for years and it seems a little unwieldy but that sure makes panels easier to carry than the GG does.

Last summer, I sheet rocked the kitchen and carrying those was not a problem for the Stanley panel cutter.

Some of this could be aging and declining muscle usage, but still, the Stanley makes panels easier to carry than the GG.

Anyone else experience the differences?
                  I have the lime green version of the Stanley. Invaluable for getting those sheets up the hill to the shop. It's slightly awkward, but not a whole lot of effort.
                  I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• BigguyZ
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2006
                    • Minneapolis, MN
                    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Any interest is selling it? I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Comment

• jseklund
                      Established Member
                      • Aug 2006

I'm 32 and not a small guy, but I've never found panels that easy to carry. What I have found, for me - is that the easiest way to carry is to stand it up 8 feet tall, get my hands in the center and let it fall so that i can carry it over my head or on my shoulder. People who don't carry sheets usually look at me like I'm trying to be some kind of strong man lifting above my head - but it's honestly the most effective way for me. Even using a second person and each taking an end makes the things so unwieldy that it's a struggle.

I have the stanley carriers...but never use them....
                      F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• radhak
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2006
                        • Miramar, FL
                        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Well, Hank, thank's for the post - I've always wondered if the GG worked. Not any longer.

I too have tried the 'over my head' and find it not too bad, though I might look like a character from bugs-bunny !

But Cabinetman, I like your carrier. I should try and knock one off one of these days.
                        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                        - Aristotle

Comment

• leehljp
                          Just me
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Tunica, MS
                          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by BigguyZ
                          Any interest is selling it? I'd be willing to give it a shot.
                          I would be but my son in law has expressed an interest. I am supposed to see him this weekend. If he doesn't take it, I will PM you with a good deal.

Hank
                          Hank Lee

Comment

• atgcpaul
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2003
                            • Maryland
                            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Well, this is good to know. I was completely enthralled by the GG when I first saw it advertised. I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger. I guess I'll continue to strong arm them over my head.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2006
                              • Minneapolis, MN
                              • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Originally posted by leehljp
                              I would be but my son in law has expressed an interest. I am supposed to see him this weekend. If he doesn't take it, I will PM you with a good deal.

Hank
                              No worries/ rush!

Even though you found it not preferable, pretty soon I'm not going to be able to do the over-the-head method. Arthritis in my shoulder is pretty bad and I'll be needing a shoulder replacement soon. I'm getting old in my 31 years...

I still gotta say- the Gorilla Gripper commercial is still one of the best toold commercials I've seen.

Comment

Working...