X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Something actually worked out for once

A lot of times, us guys see the potential in a project, and ignore the possible pratfalls and consequences to see a plan out. So it was in my case in trying to go cheap to increase the height of my bandsaw.

Well, like the title says this time it all worked out. I purchased a Powermatic riser kit from the woodworking show. For $50, I was taking a big risk if it didn't work. I could have resold, but that's a hassle.

I got around to this today, in spite of a nasty bug. The locating pins lined up exactly on the HF saw, which is nothing short of a miracle. After a while of trying to get the blade adjusted it now runs like a champ again. The green and gold combo isn't the best look, but it works.

I have a little blog about my shop
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
    The green and gold combo isn't the best look, but it works.
    Myself and quite a few Packer fans would disagree!

Glad it worked out! I have two bandsaws I need to get set up eventually... I hope it goes as easily for me as it did for you.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Congrats on the "working out!" I like your fence also. I am disappointed in the Fence of the Grizzly. It works great to the "inside" of the blade but does not work well on the outside of the saw blade, as there is very little space.

I tilted the table to 45° and then realized that the fence sets to the right side of the fence base and can't be changed. That means that it doesn't allow for rips at 45° against the fence.

Your setup would make the Grizzly more flexibility.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• toolguy1000
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2009
        • westchester cnty, ny

few things in life are as satisfying as a plan that works out the way you want it to. glad it all went together properly.
        Last edited by toolguy1000; 03-19-2012, 07:34 PM.
        there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

That's awesome! I guess the factory is churning them out for both companies?! Anyways, rattle can will set you back about $5 if it bothers you enough. Nice score.
          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

Thanks for the kind words. I didn't realize the picture came out so bad. What I get for posting it completely in Tapatalk, I suppose.

Originally posted by leehljp
            Congrats on the "working out!" I like your fence also. I am disappointed in the Fence of the Grizzly. It works great to the "inside" of the blade but does not work well on the outside of the saw blade, as there is very little space.

I tilted the table to 45° and then realized that the fence sets to the right side of the fence base and can't be changed. That means that it doesn't allow for rips at 45° against the fence.

Your setup would make the Grizzly more flexibility.
            I haven't really test driven this thing out fully. It's partially copied from a reader tip in Wood a few months ago (I'll try to sort out what issue it was), and it seems like a pretty good design, especially since it only cost me $20 (Rocker T-Track kit) and some scrap. However, it's entirely too wide for my shop for starters. I'll need to decrease the length of the fence and the outriggers to better fit my shop, and add a scale on both sides. I've not tried to do anything precise with it, just some practice resawing (cutting half laps) on some 2x with the old HF blade.

I'm still on the fence (literally) if I'm going to purchase a fence instead. By the time I put the time (which I don't have) and money (which I'll eventually have) into scales and such that the original plans called for, plus fixing the mounts so that they are even with the table, I might as well put the money into something nice.

Comment

• Cochese
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2010

Originally posted by chopnhack
              That's awesome! I guess the factory is churning them out for both companies?! Anyways, rattle can will set you back about $5 if it bothers you enough. Nice score.
              I have to think the Powermatic, Jet, Grizzly and HF (along with any other imports) are all made to the basic same design by the same factory or handful of factories, but with the first three you get a bit more QC. Especially with the Powermatic, with the extra goodies.

I kinda knew the riser would work, but that I'd probably have to cut off the pins. Complete shock when it was an exact fit.

No idea if this is a decent blade, because I've not experienced a good one. Seems to actually give less of a smooth cut than the stock HF blade.

Comment

Working...