• Show
Clear All
  • Sawatzky
    Established Member
    • Apr 2005
    • CA
    • Ridgid TS3650

Thickness planer DW734 or Delta 22-580

I may be purchasing a thickness planer soon. I had my mind set on the DeWalt 734, and feel it is a good buy at $370 on Amazon. But I found a guy selling a hardly used Delta 22-580 planer with extra blades and stand for $200. Which of these planers is better? Is the DeWalt worth $200 more than I could get the Delta for? Your opinions please!
  • phrog
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

I don't have the Delta 580 but do have the Delta 22560. It's a 12.5" thickness planer. Had it for about 8 or 9 years and have had NO problems at all even though I've used it to plane oak, maple, walnut and a few exotics. It is only a one speed but does have a head lock. In other words, I've been very pleased with this Delta product. I've had no experience with the DeWalt.

Edit: Just found the Delta you're talking about. That's the one I wish I had but it was not avaiable at the time I bought mine. Sounds like a good deal to me. It has two finishing speeds as well as 13" capacity. And the extra blades are worth around $30. The only downside that I see is - NO Warranty and two blades instead of three. However, the slower speed should give you a clean cut.
    Last edited by phrog; 02-06-2012, 11:27 AM.
    Richard

Comment

• BadeMillsap
      • Dec 2005
      • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
      • Grizzly G1023SL

I bought a 580 several years ago when Amazon had a great sale ... I have planed hundreds of board feet of white and red oak and it's never been anything but perfect ... I very rarely use the "fine" speed setting but it's nice to know it's available. Changing the blades is very easy ... I am a happy 580 owner.
      "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
      Bade Millsap
      Bulverde, Texas
      => Bade's Personal Web Log
      => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Another satisfied 22-580 owner here. Great planer, and no snipe unless the operator gets careless. If the Delta truly is "hardly used," $200 is a smokin' deal.
        Larry

Comment

• toolguy1000
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2009
          • westchester cnty, ny

when pop. woodworkig tested benchtop planers a while back (2006?) the 22-580 almost beat out the dw735 for top tool. it may have been a top value. $200 sounds good for a 580 in really good shape. less as it's condition deteriorates.
          there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...