X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

New jigsaw incoming

I've wanted to replace what I currently have for a long time. I have a hand-me-down B&D that uses two screws to lock down the blade - or it's supposed to, I lost one of the screws a long time ago. The other jigsaw I have is a 18v Ryobi. The Ryobi works well for what it is - it's not that powerful, but when I want to make a quick cut without stringing the extension cord it's fine. Not for extended cutting sessions, or for cutting MDF (no dust blower/suction). I had lost a screw to the base when I was putting in a new floor vent and the nice tool guy at Home Depot simply gave me one off the display model.

(An aside - an 18v jigsaw just doesn't cut it for cutting through real hardwood floors and underlayment)

I've wanted a barrel grip for awhile, but so far have balked at the price of the current Bosch. Each time I've gone to Sears I've fondled their convertible model, and have liked the weight and feel. After seeing 10% off online, plus another $5 coupon and possibly 4% cash back, I bit. I'll be picking it up this afternoon and hope to put it through it's paces.

Here's the link, it's gotten fairly consistent good reviews. Hope it holds true for me, otherwise I'll pony up the extra bucks for the Bosch.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...1&blockType=G1
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

I had an old Black & Decker too. One screw, a few decades old, really really loud. I later picked up a very cheap craftsman, but it wasn't a whole lot better than the old one. I got a Bosch barrel grip during a really good sale at Rockler a couple years ago.

That saw you linked to looks like it has some good features. Be sure to tell us how it works after you use it a bit.
    Erik

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I used to have an Sears with a 360° head and liked it. I bought Porter Cable back in 2000 and recently gave it to a son-in-law. I have a Bosch and it sure has a much smoother action. But I still miss that 360°.

This Sears model has that. I found that at times, that 360° rotating head let me cut in some tight situations that front straight line cutters do not.

For me, it is a difficult choice which feature I like best - smooth action of a Bosch or rotating head of the Sears.

Anyone know if Bosch makes a 360° head jig saw. This Sears looks good to me, if for nothing else, that one feature.
      Last edited by leehljp; 01-27-2012, 10:45 AM.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• steve-norrell
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • The Great Land - Alaska
        • BT3100-1

Hey, I got one of those. Like it very much. You should be quite happy with it.

The only negative (and not a very serious one) I found is that the dust collection system is lacking. Otherwise, a pretty nice machine.

Regards, Steve

Comment

• Cochese
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2010

I haven't had a whole lot of time to play with it, but what I was able to do it is awesome. I took out some 1/4" plywood that was serving as my shop walls, plus hardwood stringers underneath. I cut them down using the top handle and barrel grip modes and it was slicing through things no problem. The scroll feature is cool, never had anything like that before.

I'd say that this was a really good test of the rough work I will be doing with it, once the shop is back together again I'll be testing out the woodworking side of things. But so far, I'm impressed. Can't compare it to the Bosch, but perhaps one day I'll be able to.

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
            I haven't had a whole lot of time to play with it, but what I was able to do it is awesome. I took out some 1/4" plywood that was serving as my shop walls, plus hardwood stringers underneath. I cut them down using the top handle and barrel grip modes and it was slicing through things no problem. The scroll feature is cool, never had anything like that before.

I'd say that this was a really good test of the rough work I will be doing with it, once the shop is back together again I'll be testing out the woodworking side of things. But so far, I'm impressed. Can't compare it to the Bosch, but perhaps one day I'll be able to.
            My old Sears with the scroll (360° head) cut great and smooth on wood, but the vibes affected my hand with lots of use. Sooo, my question to you, does it seem reasonably free of vibration when cutting? I would love that. That is part of the reason that I went with the Bosch. But I miss the scrolling head.

PS. I got rid of my PC (to one of my son-in-laws) that was powerful but did not seem to have any kind of vibration dampener or counter balance in the head.
            Last edited by leehljp; 01-27-2012, 09:49 PM.
            Hank Lee

Comment

• Cochese
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2010

I didn't take notice of the vibration, but that might be an answer in itself. I'll try to do some sort of comparison if possible this weekend.

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
                I didn't take notice of the vibration, but that might be an answer in itself. I'll try to do some sort of comparison if possible this weekend.
                I appreciate this! I love the smooth feel of the Bosch but I sure miss that old Sears 360 Scroll head!
                Hank Lee

Comment

• JimD
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Lexington, SC.

I have an older Bosch barrel grip and a Ryobi 18V. I know what you mean about price but I really like my Bosch. The blower doesn't work at this point but it might just be dirty. I don't need it bad enough to investigate. With the right blade, I can and have gone right through a PT 4x4.

One of the nice things about a Bosch is the availability of little extras. I have a few of the plastic inserts for the base that make it zero clearance. I haven't seen these for other saws. When you need to cut from the top but also need no chip out, they work nicely. I also have a cast aluminum table for it that makes it like a little scroll saw. It clamps to a worktable with a built in clamp.

I like my barrel grip but sometimes miss a top handle. My hands are big enough but you need big hands to be comfortable with this type of saw. Even with big hands, you might occasionally miss the smaller circumference top handle model. If I was to buy another, I'm not sure which I would get. I doubt I'll ever buy another, however.

Jim

Comment

• Cochese
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2010

Finally got around to writing a review. Using a jig saw isn't a common occurrence in my shop with the bandsaw.

http://the144workshop.blogspot.com/2...sabre-saw.html

Comment

Working...