• Oct 2004
    • Houston, TX, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100-1

Dewalt 12V or Makita 12V

Makita LCT402W 12-Volt Max 4-Piece Combo Kit - $149 @HD w/FS
    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...79&R=203066379

DEWALT DCK211S2 12-Volt Max Kit w/3rd Battery - $144 @ Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0044DEXPW

I was able to hold the Dewalts at HD and they fit well in my hand and are not very heavy, but there weren't any Makitas for me to hold to compare. On Amazon, the Dewalts come with a free third battery and $25 off the current price, so about the same price as this Makita set. The Dewalts have flat battery bottoms so they stand up, belt hook holders, and LED lights on the drills, not sure if the Makitas have lights. The Makita set comes with a small circular saw, LED light, and harder case. Both sets have the keyless chuck for the drill/driver.

Any advice on which set you would you choose?

Here are the specs:

DEWALT
    The DEWALT MAX 12-Volt Lithium-Ion 2-Tool Combo Kit includes a selection of lightweight, compact tools that provide an abundance of power. The drill/driver features a 3/8 in. single-sleeve keyless chuck and a versatile dual-speed transmission, and the impact driver has a 1/4 in. hex chuck and 3 convenient LED lights to illuminate your work surface.
    • Drill/Driver: Dual-speed transmission provides 0 - 400 RPM or 0 - 1,500 RPM
    • Drill/Driver: 3/8 in. single-sleeve keyless chuck helps reduce bit slippage
    • Drill/Driver: Versatile dual-speed transmission
    • Impact Driver: 3 convenient LED lights to illuminate your work surface
    • Impact Driver: 1/4 in. hex chuck provides easy loading for 1 in. bit tips
    • Impact Driver: Delivers 0 - 2,450 RPM for fast application speed
    • Drill/driver features 1 LED light and the impact driver features 3 LED lights to illuminate your work surface
    • Lightweight, compact design for working in tight spaces
    • Belt hooks for easy carrying
    • Includes two 12-volt MAX batteries and a fast charger for convenience
    • Includes a contractor carrying case for easy organization
    • MFG Brand Name : DEWALT
    • MFG Model # : DCK211S2
    • MFG Part # : DCK211S2
    • Manufacturer Warranty : 90 Day Money Back Guarantee, 1 Year Free Service Contract, 3 Year Limited Warranty
    • Battery charge time (min.) : 40

MAKITA
    The LCT402W includes a 2-speed 3/8 in. driver-drill with a convenient keyless chuck and 200 in.lbs. of Max Torque for a range of drilling and driving applications. The kit also includes a compact and powerful impact driver that weighs only 2.0 lbs. yet delivers 800 in.lbs. of Max Torque. The 3-3/8 in. circular saw will make approximately 70 cuts of x 12 in. plywood at 90 degrees on a single battery charge, and is ideal for cutting a range of materials including plywood, MDF, pegboard, particleboard, melamine, drywall, and more. The L.E.D. flashlight has a compact design at only 4-3/4 in. long and weighs only 0.55 lbs. with battery, and will run up to 9 hours on a single charge.
    • 2-speed 3/8 in. driver-drill (0-350 and 0-1,300 RPM) delivers 200 in.lbs. of max torque in an ultra compact size of only 2.2 lbs.
    • Variable speed impact driver (0-2,400 RPM and 0-3,000 IPM) provides 800 in.lbs. of max torque in an ultra compact design of only 2.0 lbs.
    • 3-3/8 in. circular saw provides 1,400 RPM and a 1 in. cutting capacity for a wide range of cutting applications
    • LED flashlight runs up to 9 hours on a single charge
    • Makita 12-volt max lithium-ion batteries provide longer run time and lower self-discharge
    • The charger earned the energy star label for meeting the strict energy efficient guidelines set by the US environmental protection agency (EPA) and US department of energy (DOE)
    • MFG Brand Name : Makita
    • MFG Model # : LCT402W
    • MFG Part # : LCT402W
    • Battery charge time (min.) : 45
    • Manufacturer Warranty : 3-year warranty on tools and 1-year warranty on batteries and charger
    • Returnable : 90-Day
    Rita
  • Carpenter96
    Established Member
    • Aug 2011
    • Barrie ON Canada
    • BT 3000

Choices

Hi I have a lot of experience with different cordless tools and as far as the actual tool goes they will both perform equally well but the third battery for the dewalt is necessary because for some reason the dewalt batteries go dead quicker. Regards Bob

Comment

• jussi
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007

Don't forget Bosch at $125

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846
      I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• toolbelt diva
        Established Member
        • Oct 2004
        • Houston, TX, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100-1

Originally posted by Carpenter96
        Hi I have a lot of experience with different cordless tools and as far as the actual tool goes they will both perform equally well but the third battery for the dewalt is necessary because for some reason the dewalt batteries go dead quicker. Regards Bob
        Good to know. Thank you.

Originally posted by jussi
        Yes, thank you I saw those the other day on Amazon when they were only $109, but I wanted a drill/driver with a keyless chuck and this Bosch set has a pocket driver.
        Rita

Comment

• Whaler
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Sequim, WA, USA.
          • DW746

I own DeWalts and have never had a problem.
          Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• Basstracker34
            Forum Newbie
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Whaler
            I own DeWalts and have never had a problem.
            +1

I have the Dewalt 12V max set(drill and impact) and gotta say they are really powerful for their size. I figure if I need any more power I'll just use a corded drill. I was able to install all new slab doors in our house thanks to the 12v Dewalt.

Comment

• BrazosJake
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Benbrook, TX.
              • Emerson-built Craftsman

Without looking, I'd say makita. Vmy dw 18v hammerdrill has been a pita. I'd just had to fiddle with the transmission to get it working. I'd have dumped it for makita had I not just bought new batteries.

My dw 12v id has been great, though

Comment

• tommyt654
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2008

I'd go with the Makita Rita (hey that rhymes) as they seem to me at least to be better built than the DW's. Plus then we would all have a new nickname for you

Comment

• gsmittle
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2004
                  • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                  • BT 3100

Just my personal opinion—I feel DeWalt tools are a bit overpriced. I have a whole collection of Ryobi cordless tools, so my opinion probably isn't worth much. The only DW tool I own is their biscuit joiner, which I bought on sale. I like it fine, but it's the only biscuit joiner I've ever used.

To each his own…

g.
                  Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                  Bill & Ted

Comment

• durango dude
                    • Mar 2011
                    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Take a look through the local HD security tapes, and you'll see me standing there admiring the DeWalt display.

I love the Dewalt 12 volt cordless for ergonomics (feel).

Love the lights, love the size, love the solid feel.

It's just right for the KReg pocket hole kit that I use at least monthly.

If the hand tool has a cord - I like Makita.
                    (palm sander, power drill, circular saw)

If the tool has a battery, I like Dewalt. (just one drill at the moment)

No science behind my preferences --- that's just the way it is.
                    Last edited by durango dude; 12-12-2011, 07:17 PM.

Comment

• toolbelt diva
                      Established Member
                      • Oct 2004
                      • Houston, TX, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3100-1

Originally posted by tommyt654
                      I'd go with the Makita Rita (hey that rhymes) as they seem to me at least to be better built than the DW's. Plus then we would all have a new nickname for you
                      LOL.

Originally posted by durango dude
                      Take a look through the local HD security tapes, and you'll see me standing there admiring the DeWalt display.

I love the Dewalt 12 volt cordless for ergonomics (feel).

Love the lights, love the size, love the solid feel.

That's me too on the security tapes checking out the Dewalts! I love how they fit my hands.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. If you can believe it I'm still on the fence. I keep checking my HD to see if they have any Makita 12v demos out, but no luck.

I guess I haven't chosen the Dewalt yet, because I could really use a saw to cut 1/4" Baltic birch plywood without tearout (BT3 has tearout) and I'm wondering if the Makita saw will work. If anyone has any other options for this type of cutting please let me know. I'll also be cutting thinner plywood or 3/4" or less mdf.
                      Rita

Comment

• woodturner
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2008
                        • Western Pennsylvania
                        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

The Makita are likey to be more reliable than the DeWalt, though the Bosch someone else mentioned has a stronger reputation.

We've had a number of bad experiences with DeWalt. I used to moonlight doing DeWalt demos, but could only take the complaints for so long and finally quit doing it. DeWalt is essentially B&D in yellow cases - some components are improved, but largely the DeWalt line was a marketing effort to overcome the negative reputation and price point limits of the B&D brand.

FWIW, I have replaced most of my DeWalt tools over the last few years as they have broken or worn out (they were a free "benefit" of the demo work, I didn't buy them). With the exception of the hammer drill, the Makita tools are all still in daily use, and some of them are 30 years old.
                        --------------------------------------------------
                        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• TB Roye
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                          • BT3100

Up to $179.00 now and 3rd battery is extra. Might as will hold off until after the holiday and see if it comes back down. Drats, I was looking to replace my Ryobi stuff.

Tom

Comment

Working...