• Show
Clear All
  • Bruce Cohen
    Veteran Member
    • May 2003
    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

A somewhat dumb Bandsaw question

I own a Rikon 14" Deluxe band saw, and have noticed that Carter has produced its own set of "tool less" roller guides, selling for $200.00. Has anyone changed over to Carter's upgrade (any band saw), as this seems pricey for a replacement of something the saw is equipped with (sans the tool less function.

I have always it a PITA to set the rollers corectly the first time for each blade change. And I am constantly changing from a 3/4" 3 tooth re-saw blade to a 1/4" blade for curved cuts.

Anyone have any ideas (pro or con) as to whether I should plunk down what constitutes approximately 25% of the cost of the saw.

BTW, except for the annoyance of setting the roller bearings using a wrench and an allen key, the saw tracks and works wonderfully. I'm using Timber Wolf blades exclusively.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"
  • toolguy1000
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • westchester cnty, ny

i wouldn't do it. if you have the room, i'd try for a smaller BS for the 1/4" blade. i got a crummy delta bs100 off CL for $20 that i keep a 1/4" blade on for curves. it's not perfect, but i don't ask it to be. heck, i've even seen 12" and 14" BSs for around $200 on CL. again, the additional BS suggestion is dependant on your available space. just my $.02.

oh, and i'd change from T-wolf blades to lennox from iturra. when you get a really good blade on that 10-325, you'll never go back to the t-wolves.
    there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• sweensdv
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • WI
      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

How do they work? Is it just the fact that you don't need the allen key to adjust them or are they actually easier to adjust? I don't have much of a problem with adjusting the upper roller bearings on my 10-325 but the bottom ones always give me fits. Still $200....

Comment

• charliex
        • Mar 2004
        • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
        • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

I have the Sears knockoff of the smaller Rikon 14" with the same issue. I bought a ratcheting flat wrench for that hard to reach lower guide nut. I use a straight ball-end Allen wrench stuck in the end of a square handle for the bearings. Most TW blades are .025 thick so changing from 1/2" to 1/4" I only have to adjust the rear stop roller. 3/4" to 1/4" does require a bit more tweaking. One thing I learned was that the bearing bolts do not have to be super tight, just snug. My problem is once I get down to adjust the lower guides I have trouble getting back to the standing position. But that's an age issue. $200 is a lot of cash for that upgrade but if it eliminates effort or saves time????

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Bruce,
          I can't answer the advantages or how well the Carter's too less work, but I am the type of person that I just want to get the job done as transparently as possible. When I have to switch back and forth for a single project, I just deal with it and do it. But when I switch back and forth considerably across projects, the price of adapting (with upgrade) becomes far less than the frustration of constant change. I have found that for me, the idea (frustration) of having to change a set up on certain tools has prevented me from jumping into some quick projects. How many times have I decided not to do a project because I didn't want to change the saw blade on for a dado blade my TS for a 30 minute project.

That is also why I bought my second router many years ago, and why I put two routers in one router table - so that I didn't have to constantly change bits on a project.

If you can't get a second 14" bandsaw of quality, then the price of eliminating constant adjusting will be worth it in the long run, - if you use your bandsaw regularly - as it seems you are doing.

Bottom line, will easy change guides increase your productivity or make it easier to use your BS for more projects. Will the price be worth the increase in usability?
          Last edited by leehljp; 08-23-2011, 09:43 AM.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Daz
            Forum Newbie
            • Aug 2010
            • California
            • Ryobi BT3000

I too don't have any experience with the carter bearings, but to add to what a few people mentioned, I just picked up a great 12" Craftsman bandsaw on CL for $130. (I can hear everyone laughing right now...I just used "great" and craftsman in the same sentence) So assuming you have the space, having two bandsaws might be a better arrangement and if you can find one like I did for under $150, you save some cash too.

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

If your saw works OK the way it is, I wouldn't spend the money.

Comment

Working...