• Show
Clear All
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

Miter Saw Repair

The blade brake went out on my very vintage Craftsman 113.235300 miter saw. The guard doesn't always return either, so now I have a very dangerous saw.

I checked the Sears parts list online, but I don't find any listing for a blade brake. Nor is there a part # for a motor. I'm at a loss for how to repair the brake. Any ideas?

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

The switch is probably the culprit. The "brake" is done electrically through the windings in the motor and has no extra "brake" parts.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• herb fellows
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • New York City
      • bt3100

Unfortunately, this is going to be very vague, but there is a place on the internet that tells you which manufacturers made what for Sears.
      If I remember correctly, it goes by serial number? Like everything with a serial # beginning with 132 is Dewalt or whatever.
      I used to have the list but I can't put my hands on it right now. If I find it, I'll post it here.

If you can dig that info up, you may be able to get the part from the actual manufacturer.
      Maybe try Googling 'Sears power tool manufacturers' or similar?
      Sorry, that's all I've got.
      You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• gsmittle
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • St. Louis, MO, USA.
        • BT 3100

Originally posted by herb fellows
        Unfortunately, this is going to be very vague, but there is a place on the internet that tells you which manufacturers made what for Sears.
        If I remember correctly, it goes by serial number? Like everything with a serial # beginning with 132 is Dewalt or whatever.
        I used to have the list but I can't put my hands on it right now. If I find it, I'll post it here.

If you can dig that info up, you may be able to get the part from the actual manufacturer.
        Maybe try Googling 'Sears power tool manufacturers' or similar?
        Sorry, that's all I've got.
        Found it! http://professional-power-tool-guide...-product-code/

Looks like my saw was made by Emerson.

g.
        Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
        Bill & Ted

Comment

Working...