Clear All
  • fastfoodkills
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2008
    • Saugus, CA
    • BT3000 bought in Y2K; Replaced w/ Steel City cast iron 3 HP

12" Bandsaw and Blade Tracking Question

Hello,

I picked up one of the Lowe's close-out 12" two-speed Hitachi CB13F cast iron band saws a few years back and have been getting more and more use out of it as projects unfold and had a question about adjusting the blade tracking. Under proper tension, I'm able to center the blade on the upper wheel, but on the lower wheel it's usually off significantly, with the teeth riding along the outer edge of the lower wheel. At this point I checked the wheels for co-planer and to my surprise, they're spot on. This is with the widest capacity blade installed, a 1/2" Timberwolf, with the tension set per the Timberwolf instructions. Is this the expected behavior - the blade being aligned on the crown at the top only?

I learned about the deeply discounted price on this saw on this forum and it's turned out to be a wonderful saw, despite some of its shortcomings (table flex and tricky guide adjustments). It's indispensable for cutting push sticks, plexiglas components, fixtures and all sorts of things. Eventually, I'd like to upgrade to a larger, dedicated wood cutting bandsaw for re-sawing, but with the dual speed on the little Hitachi and a metal cutting blade, I could see a permanent home for it alongside the larger saw.

Regards,

Tom
    Last edited by fastfoodkills; 06-16-2011, 02:13 AM.
  • All Thumbs
    Established Member
    • Oct 2009
    • Penn Hills, PA
    • BT3K/Saw-Stop

According to Mark Duginske, when your wheels are coplanar, a blade tracking in the center of the top wheel will travel forward of center on the bottom wheel.

Same thing happens with my saw.

Comment

• toolguy1000
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2009
      • westchester cnty, ny

must be an accurate statement. this video by michael fortune from fine woodworking reflects the same lower wheel opinion around the 3:30 point in the video:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/ToolG...ne-woodworking
      there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• fastfoodkills
        Forum Newbie
        • Jan 2008
        • Saugus, CA
        • BT3000 bought in Y2K; Replaced w/ Steel City cast iron 3 HP

thank you for sharing. the video has some great information too.

Comment

• jbrain
          Forum Newbie
          • Mar 2007
          • roseville california
          • Bt3100

Yeah, the video is very helpful. I will save that for sure. Thanks.

Comment

Working...