• Show
Clear All
  • BrazosJake
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Benbrook, TX.
    • Emerson-built Craftsman

DeWalt cordless hammerdrill

Looks like the clutch is gone on my 18v DW989. While driving a deck screw the other day, it started making a horrible grinding/clacking sound (the clutch was set on "drill"). I can duplicate this by holding the chuck lightly between my fingers.

Does anyone know if this is fixable without taking it to a service center?

If it's not an easy DIY job, then please offer suggestions for a replacement besides another DeWalt. I hate to have to switch power plants, as I own 4 DW 18v batteries, but I already spent a c-note having it rebuilt a couple years ago after it started smoking. It hasn't even been used that hard, mostly as a driver in my DIY shop.

Anyone know of an upcoming Father's day sale at the BORGs???

Thanks!
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Can't really help on the broke one.

Wouldn't an impact driver be better for driving screws anyways?

I picked up an 18v Dill/driver and impact driver combo a few years ago. I really do love that impact driver.
    Erik

Comment

• BrazosJake
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2003
      • Benbrook, TX.
      • Emerson-built Craftsman

Originally posted by pelligrini
      Can't really help on the broke one.

Wouldn't an impact driver be better for driving screws anyways?

I picked up an 18v Dill/driver and impact driver combo a few years ago. I really do love that impact driver.
      What brand, voltage, etc. is your combo?

I love my ID (a DW 12 volt, it's the one DW cordless that doesn't suck.) But it's a bit much for driving pocket-hole screws & such, and it eats batteries like a sumo at a sushi bar. I also like to drill with a cordless on occaision (yes, I know an, ID can take a hex-head bit.) A new drill/ID combo is not out of the question, as I would also like an ID that can run longer off one battery charge.

If I buy another hammerdrill or recip saw, they WILL have tails. Don't even suggest a cordless circular saw to me.

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

They're Dwalt 18v, can't remember the model numbers offhand though. The batteries are the regular NiCad, not even the XRP. I get some pretty good time from them. I don't use the impact for pocket screws, just the regular driver with the clutch set low. I'd certainly go Lithium if needed another set again.

The flashlight is pretty handy. I did pick up the circular saw too. It's proven to be useful on occasion. Can't really do any serious cutting, especially for very long. If it broke I wouldn't even bother looking for a replacement. Every once in a while it's nice to do a quick cut without pulling around a tail and its extension.
        Erik

Comment

• sweensdv
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • WI
          • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Not one of the borgs but Amazon has one for under $120 + fgt.

Comment

Working...