Established Member
    • Oct 2004
    • Houston, TX, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100-1

Extension Cord Gauge Question

According to the BT3100 manual, we can use extension cords:

Length up to 25' = 14 gauge
    Length from 26' - 50' = 12 gauge

I've been using a 25' outdoor extension cord that is orange with black ends and it has the following on the cord "14/3 SJTW-A OUTDOOR M/E". When I tried to Google that information it looks like the 14 means it is 14 gauge which would be perfect with what the manual says, but I just wanted to run it by all of you to make sure the 14 in 14/3 meant 14 gauge. If it does that is great and I'm still set with the BT.

I still have to go get another extension cord anyway, since my scroll saw is 1.3 amp and that manual recommends a 16 gauge extension cord for up to 75'.
    Rita
  • RAFlorida
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2008
    • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
    • Ryobi BT3000

Yes, the 14 of the 14/3 is the

gauge, and the 3 indicates that it is 3 conductor. I prefer to use 12 gauge for up to 20 - 25 feet and 10 gauge over 25 feet.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
      Veteran Member
      • May 2007
      • Tacoma, WA
      • BT3000

Remember that in wire gauge the higher the number the smaller the wire. Your 14/3 is just fine for the scroll saw as long as it's long enough. Except as a matter of convenience and practicality you can't use an extension cord that the wire is too big in. However using one that is too small can result in damage to the tool and/or melting the cord and perhaps a fire.

Bill
      I only missed becoming rich and famous by two things.

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

I'm much more conservative than the BT manual. For higher amperage stuff, like my tablesaw, I wouldn't use 14 gauge over 10'. The rest is like what RAFlorida mentioned.
        Erik

Comment

• BobSch
          • Aug 2004
          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
          • BT3100

After a neighbor down the block almost lost his garage due to an electrical fire, I replaced all my shop extension cords with 12/3. It forced me to put off some other tool purchases, but I'm happy I did it.
          Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

I have a 14 ga cord with three soldered splices for drops around the roof of the work deck. Less than 15 feet to either of the drops where the BT or my band saw would be plugged in. Probably a bit over 20 feet to the one on the other side. That one is only used to power sanders, routers, jig saws and other small tools. Any time I need power away from the shop or house I use a 100' 12 ga from the outlet and then may use a 14 ga to extend further. I also have a 15' 12 ga cord for use when I need to power some of the bigger tools. That generally get used any time I use any tool off the work deck like my MIG, grinder, or PC circular saw.
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• cork58
              Established Member
              • Jan 2006
              • Wasilla, AK, USA.
              • BT3000

I too ran an overhead in conduit 10/3 then a drop cord to a receptale for both of my saws from 12 feet. I have one for ripping and one for crosscuts. Its been called the Frankensaw around here. The drop down is also 10/3 by the way. I've had experance with what is called a "slow burn" fire from wire that is on the high side of its limits. I decided years ago to have more wire than I need. I have had the motor on both saws at full limit many times and never had a problem with the wire.
              Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• tommyt654
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2008

Hey Rita, I would not go with less than 12/3 IMO

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2007
                  • Buena Park, CA
                  • CM 21829

If you have the time and knowledge and don't mind making your own (to save a little $), 10/3 is what I prefer. I make all my extension cords - none over 20 ft - and I buy the 10/3 wire from the BORG.
                  Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• toolbelt diva
                    Established Member
                    • Oct 2004
                    • Houston, TX, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3100-1

Thank you for all the great replies and information. So if I understand correctly, I should use at least 12 gauge (10 is ultimately the best) for up to 25'. This will still be okay to use for a 1.3 amp scroll saw or any small power tool (such as a palm sander), because it is okay to use a gauge with a smaller number for a tool than is recommended, but not one with a higher number such as a 16 gauge.
                    Last edited by toolbelt diva; 04-17-2011, 08:37 AM.
                    Rita

Comment

• RAFlorida
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2008
                      • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Rita, glad that we were able to help you some what.

My rule for tools is as listed above; 12 gauge for up to 25 feet, 10 gauge for up to 100 foot. I have a couple of extension cords that are 14 and 16 gauge. The only things that I use those for are lights. Your small amperage tools, (eg. 1.3 amps etc.) can be used with short lenght of 14 gauge. But overall, just get yourself a 25' 12g and maybe a 50' at 10 gauge. (To confuse you some, let's say you need 75 foot of extension, plug your 10 gauge into the outlet for power and the 12 gauge into the 10 gauge; in other words your 12 gauge will be last and that which the tool plugs into. Hope I've not messed up your line of thoughts!

Comment

• sweensdv
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • WI
                        • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I'm another believer in using a 12 gauge cord as a minimum. This is especially true if whatever tool you're using isn't on a dedicated circuit. I even use a 12 gauge cord with my hand held tools. Good ole Harbor Freight has a 10 footer for a fairly reasonable price, Harbor Freight 8848. If you watch their fliers, it does go on sale in the $6 range every so often.

Comment

• Tom Slick
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2005
                          • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                          • sears BT3 clone

I'll decipher "14/3 SJTW-A OUTDOOR M/E" for you:

14/3 = 14 AWG with 3 conductors - AWG is American Wire Guage
                          SJ = 300 volt rating
                          T = Thermoplastic jacket (covering)
                          W-A = Weather resistant (outdoor use)
                          Outdoor = Outdoor use (redundant to "W-A")
                          M/E = I'm not sure, probably just a manufacturer's code.
                          Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• 10sCoachRick
                            Established Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Austin, TX

Originally posted by toolbelt diva
                            Thank you for all the great replies and information. So if I understand correctly, I should use at least 12 gauge (10 is ultimately the best) for up to 25'. This will still be okay to use for a 1.3 amp scroll saw or any small power tool (such as a palm sander), because it is okay to use a gauge with a smaller number for a tool than is recommended, but not one with a higher number such as a 16 gauge.
                            I'm with the responders who go heavier gauge(smaller number) when possible; although a 10ga starts to look like a garden hose!

My 60, 75 and 100' 16ga cords haven't been used in quite a while...'maybe' for low-draw Christmas lights. Otherwise, it's 14ga or larger for me when using serious tools. Look for clearance cords at Lowe's from time to time. Not too long ago, they had a clearance deal that was part of a 're-set' of the display...EXACT same items were replacing 'older' packaging...cords were no different, just about 1/3-1/2 off.

Comment

• toolbelt diva
                              Established Member
                              • Oct 2004
                              • Houston, TX, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3100-1

Originally posted by RAFlorida
                              My rule for tools is as listed above; 12 gauge for up to 25 feet, 10 gauge for up to 100 foot. I have a couple of extension cords that are 14 and 16 gauge. The only things that I use those for are lights. Your small amperage tools, (eg. 1.3 amps etc.) can be used with short lenght of 14 gauge. But overall, just get yourself a 25' 12g and maybe a 50' at 10 gauge. (To confuse you some, let's say you need 75 foot of extension, plug your 10 gauge into the outlet for power and the 12 gauge into the 10 gauge; in other words your 12 gauge will be last and that which the tool plugs into. Hope I've not messed up your line of thoughts!
                              Not at all. I totally understand now.

Thank you everyone once again for such great information and letting me know where I can buy some at good prices (that would have been my next question). I'll probably get a 12 gauge 25' outdoor extension cord for now and will look at HF, Home Depot, and Lowes for the best price.
                              Last edited by toolbelt diva; 04-20-2011, 02:09 PM.
                              Rita

Comment

Working...