Adapter Ring/Plate/Template Compatibility - Freud Avanti FT17012 & Porter Cable 4216

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wd4lc
    Established Member
    • Nov 2008
    • Houston, TX
    • Ryobi BT3100-1

Adapter Ring/Plate/Template Compatibility - Freud Avanti FT17012 & Porter Cable 4216

I've splurged and gotten myself a PC 4216 dovetail and finger/box joint jig (mini as well). I feel I got it at a fairly low price but it's still a lot of dough. Suffice it to say, I won't be buying any major tools for at least a bazillion years!

All of this type of routing will be new to me. I'll admit that I'm completely lost. I did build a homemade finger/box joint jig and used that a few times. The fit was way too tight but I felt pretty proud and excited as I've always wanted to build something using these types of joints.

So, I'm unpacking the box and ready to dive in. A few pages into the manual I see that I'll need some sort of adapter plate thing. Their template guide doesn't seem to fit onto my Freud Avanti FT1700 series router. I'm not even sure how it's suppose to attach but it doesn't fit in any way.

Doing some searches and reading, I see that the FT1100 Freud adapter plate was suggested. I'm also seeing suggestions for sets like the Freud FT2020 Template Guide Kit and from 3rd parties such as the 10 Piece Router Template Guide Set.

My assumption is that the plates and rings are used to attach to the base so that other template guides can be affixed to the router. It looks like the latter two sets are actually template guides. Therefore I assume that you would use those guides instead of the the stock guides from the PC jig.

Do you have any suggestions or experience with this router and/or jig....or any general knowledge on what to get, please?

I'm also wondering if I can kill two birds with one stone. I've got a couple of Jasper circle jigs on the way. I believe I need something for a better fit on this router as well. Jasper Router Compatibility.

Thanks for any advice.
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I've got the FT1100 adaptor and FT1500 inlay set installed on the plunge base of my FT1700. No problem,

Last edited by Knottscott; 03-15-2011, 11:13 AM.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• wd4lc
      Established Member
      • Nov 2008
      • Houston, TX
      • Ryobi BT3100-1

KnottScott, thanks so much for those photos. Very very cool of you. I've read this strange bit but I can now see in your photos how the screw heads sort of clamp the adapter plate in place.

Out of curiosity did that clear acrylic base plate come with your router (mine were black) or is that a homemade base plate?

Comment

• mpc
        • Feb 2005
        • Cypress, CA, USA.
        • BT3000 orig 13amp model

There are several ways Freud routers can be adapted to take the "standard" (Porter-Cable size/style) guide bushings.
        * I have a clear plastic piece that replaces the Freud router's normal black plastic base piece - it screws into the same holes. It's a kit sold by Woodcraft; the clear plastic piece is drilled for several different routers (it also works on Ryobi and Craftsman routers) so it's a bit of a universal adapter. See Woodcraft adapter

* I think Leigh makes a metal piece that attaches to the two center screws of Freud router bit openings (where Freud's vacuum/dust collection attachment normally goes); this piece basically is a "bridge" that connects the two screws and provides an opening sized for standard bushings.

* Freud now makes an adapter ring like Knottscott posted.

One thing to know when using guide bushings: they must be centered properly! The whole point of them is to "steer" your router and router bit along a perfectly defined path --> the fingers of your jig. The distance between the bit's cutting edges and the part of the bushing that rides on the jig fingers MUST be exact and consistent all the way around the bushing. That means the router bit shank must pass through the exact center of the bushing. Many adapter kits include a funky piece to make this happen: a centering tool. It's basically a router bit shank on one end, the other end is an expanding cone shape. You mount this into the router like a bit, then adjust the router's up/down height until the bushing just contacts the cone. When the bushing is touching the cone all the way around - i.e. the bushing is now centered - you tighten the ring shaped nut that clamps the bushing to the router base or adapter assembly. Then you remove the centering tool and install the real router bit. Make sure whatever adapter assembly you pick has an centering tool. In the Woodcraft adapter I linked above, you can see the centering tool installed in the router (yellow/brass colored part) centering the silver guide bushing. In the Woodcraft picture, the bushing is silver, the "polished" looking portion is flush with the clear plastic router base plate; there is a small round (tube shaped) portion poking down (this is what rides the jig fingers) barely visible as a darker gray/black section in the picture. Clamping the bushing to the clear plastic is the knurled silver "nut" portion.

Something else to consider when comparing adapters: how much of your vision do they block? When using guide bushings with jigs like your PC 4216 you don't absolutely need to see the bushing ride the jig's fingers... but it's a lot easier if you have a clear line of site. Look at Internet pictures of the various options and make paper/cardboard mock-ups you can try on your router and PC 4216...

mpc
        Last edited by mpc; 03-17-2011, 02:17 AM.

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by wd4lc
          KnottScott, thanks so much for those photos. Very very cool of you. I've read this strange bit but I can now see in your photos how the screw heads sort of clamp the adapter plate in place.

Out of curiosity did that clear acrylic base plate come with your router (mine were black) or is that a homemade base plate?
          Glad they were helpful....I actually kept the pics from a while ago when someone else asked the same question.

That sub-base came with the plunge base, which was an early model so it may be different than the newer ones.
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• wd4lc
            Established Member
            • Nov 2008
            • Houston, TX
            • Ryobi BT3100-1

Originally posted by mpc
            There are several ways Freud routers can be adapted to take the "standard" (Porter-Cable size/style) guide bushings.
            * I have a clear plastic piece that replaces the Freud router's normal black plastic base piece - it screws into the same holes. It's a kit sold by Woodcraft; the clear plastic piece is drilled for several different routers (it also works on Ryobi and Craftsman routers) so it's a bit of a universal adapter. See Woodcraft adapter
            mpc, am I missing something here? I purchased that from Woodcraft last week. As far as I can tell this actually gets attached on top of the Freud black base plate...not as a replacement of the black base plate. When you take the black base plate off, there is a portion that protrudes (the area where you insert the hex tool that raises and lowers the router bit). There is no allotted area on the clear plexi plate for that protrusion.

What I do like about it is as you mentioned....it's clear and you can see at least through the small area around the bushing.

The things I'm not too keen on....

Having to install a 1/4" collet in order to use the centering tool.

It's also difficult to change the bushings and the bits themselves with the plate attached. You have to manually hold down the collett\ stop with your finger (not enough room to heighten the router to the collet lock knob). Maybe that would be the same for the Freud adapter plate too. I'm not sure.

The price. A bit ridiculous.

Probably the most disturbing is that this clear adapter plate is really scratching up the templates on my PC jig. Am I doing something incorrectly...is there something that can be done...or would this happen with even the Freud black material plate? I have teflon spray but I can't imagine you want that too slick and having the router jump.

Any thoughts on this. If these problems are universal (especially the scratching), then I may stick with it. Otherwise I may try the Freud adapter ring as shown by Knottscott.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...