How do you do inlays? Would a dremel be good idea?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

How do you do inlays? Would a dremel be good idea?

jussi posted about a dremel at big lots today, made me wonder if I could use it for making some small inlay work.

A quick google gives me this : dremel projects. Is that a separate attachment for the dremel that I'd have to buy?

Been wanting to do something like that on a drawer front, and am feeling a router, even a palm-router, might have too much power. Or am I wrong?

I have a router with plunge base, and a PC palm with a fixed base. I guess the plunge base is mandatory, but the smallest bit I have is the 1/4". I guess there should be something smaller, like a 1/8" straight bit available, if I go with the router?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Actually, having a larger router will be better. Cut's smoother, and the weight makes it more steady.

Go to www.thewoodwhisperer.com and find the video on inlay work. I think he does a good job explaining his process.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

The Dremel setup looks pretty good. It may be lighter than a trim router, and may be easier to control. Having the plunge function is great, but I've done inlays with a fixed base before there were plunge bases available (or at least that I knew about). You can gently tip the bit in away from the edge. As for router bits suitable for small inlay work, here's a page with 1/16" and 1/8" straight bits, that cut a flat bottom.
      http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops..._straight.html

Comment

• vaking
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2005
        • Montclair, NJ, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100-1

Yes, plunge attachment for dremel is a separate item that you would need to get. There was a time when same Big Lots was selling them for about $5 but that was years ago. I have such attachement, I do not have a dremel but it works with my rotozip. To be honest - depth control on this attachement is not the greatest in my opinion.
        As for bits - I believe you can find collet reducer that will allow you to use any dremel type bit in a router after you reduce the collet size to 1/8".
        Alex V

Comment

Working...