• Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Possible to salvage rusty drill bits?

I had a contaner of loose/ various drill bits that was on my basement floor. The basement flooded, and now it's a big mess of metal and rust.

Is this something I can salvage? Or are they toast? How do I go about recovering them, if I can? I don't think they're too solidly rusted together.

Thanks,
    Travis
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

I'd try putting them in some evaporust too see what might happen. If they are twist bits, a drill doctor might put a good edge on them again.
    Erik

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

You can also try cleaning them up a bit with WD-40 and a wire wheel.

JR
      JR

Comment

• 4estgump
        Established Member
        • Nov 2006
        • Lawrenceburg, Kentucky
        • Ryobi BT3000

BigguyZ,

Get a Gal milk bottle. Cut the top off. Lay the bits in the bottom Get a pair of rubber gloves and a gal. of muratic acid. Pour distilled water just above the bits. Now this part iv very important, Take a plastic cut aor glass jar. Measure a 1/2 cup of the acid. Mix slowly with stick, do not splash the water. Let sit for 30 mins. Take out in the yard to do this. After 30 mins take your hose, turn it on low flow and over fill the milk jug for 40 mins. this will dilute the acid and will run into the ground. this will not hurt the ground at al. Most if not all the rust will be gone. If not increase the acid mixture a small amount. Most important, keep your gloves on at all times, and don't inhale the fumes. this will work
        4est

Comment

• herb fellows
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • New York City
          • bt3100

Definitely Evaporust. Clean off the surface rust first with a wire brush or ??, then sit them in a container with it for a day. The rust is gone!
          Rinse them off with water, dry them immediately and thoroughly, then protect them some way (wd40 or similar).

As far as sharp goes, if they were before the rust, they will be after, the Evaporust will return them to their original condition.
          You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• BigguyZ
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2006
            • Minneapolis, MN
            • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

OK, I'll have to look for the evaporust tomorrow...

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

Harbor Freight carries it. I'm not sure how much a wire brush would affect sharpness.

I wonder how evaporust would work in an untrasonic cleaner? Even if there were one big enough for tools and planes?
              Erik

Comment

• Santa Clarita Len
                Established Member
                • Feb 2006
                • Santa Clarita Calif.
                • Bt3000 and Dewalt radial arm saw

Originally posted by pelligrini
                Harbor Freight carries it. I'm not sure how much a wire brush would affect sharpness.

I wonder how evaporust would work in an untrasonic cleaner? Even if there were one big enough for tools and planes?
                Try using a brass wire brush.

Comment

Working...