X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

I'm a Beliver - Setting Jointer knives

Just finished changing my jointer knives for the 2nd time. The first time I used a dial indicator mounted on a stand. It took a few hours. Part of it was definitely because it was my first time. Also it was an older jointer and the only way to raise and lower the blades was the manually lift them up. My newer Ridgid has two screws that the blades rest on so adjusting them is much more precise. But a third reason wasit required finding top dead center for each blade, twice (once for the back and once for the front). Very time consuming and frustrating. I considered buying one of those expensive One way jigs but decided to try a low tech (and cheap) method I'd read about. The stick method. It worked great. Knives were set 2-3 thou above the outfield table and it took me about 30 minutes. Most of which was screwing and unscrewing the knives. Here's a link of how it works. A couple of tips I would suggest is making sure the stick is as flat as possible and make it sure it has some weight. I used a 2.5 inch thick hard maple. If it's not perfectly flat the knives might miss it. And if not enough weight, the knives may slip off due to not enough friction.

I found a mathematical formula (using simple geometry) somewhere before to find how much the stick moves correlates to how high the knives are but I forgot the link. Plus it assumes is perfectly dead flat. In the end I set my kives so the stick moved around 3/16.

Because I couldn't help it I used the dial indicator to check my results and it was 2-3 thou.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/s...terknives.aspxw
    Last edited by jussi; 03-01-2011, 10:54 AM.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I've gotten good results using this simple to make jig, Jointer Knife-Setting Jig. I wasn't able to find the type of magnets that the guy in the video used so I just used rare earth magnets which work just as well.

Comment

• jnesmith
      • Jan 2003
      • Tallahassee, FL, USA.

I used the stick method on my Ridgid for a few years. I then found the FW video posted above and converted to that method. It is much quicker and easier than the stick method. For my particular jointer, I can't imagine a quicker method.
      John

Comment

Working...