• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Mini Gloat

I have been looking for a better welder to replace my Century Flux-core box. Flux core welders are ok for some jobs but, even on the low setting, burn too hot to work with most sheet metal.

Yesterday I picked up a Hobart 120 that I found on CL for $325. It's about 20 yrs old but I think it is safe to say it hasn't been heavily used. The partial bottle of argon was bought with the welder in '91.

Since the new equivilant, a Hobart 125 with the gas conversion kit, would have cost me about $395 through Amazon this isn't a great deal. When you add in the 125 cu ft argon bottle at about $200 and a professional grade auto darkening helmet that would cost me around $180 to buy new, the deal gets real sweet.

Heading to the shop in a few to cut up some angle iron and make a cart to keep it on.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

Have a good time! There's nuthin' more manly than cutting metal with fire and melting it back together.

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted

Comment

• wardprobst
      • Jan 2006
      • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
      • Craftsman 22811

Good for you, that'll be fun to play with.
      DP
      www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Spent the day in the shop and the welder is still in the truck. Got 2 picture frames sanded down and finished construction of my new vacuum cart. Need to put a couple of coats of spar urethane on the cart and am going to try out the gel urethane on the frames. Pictures (and impressions of the gel finish) forthcoming in another thread(s).
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

Working...