• Show
Clear All
  • dtam
    Established Member
    • Mar 2006
    • santa clara, CA
    • delta 36-675

woodriver V3 handplanes

Has anyone used the new Woodriver V3 bench planes? There is hardly any mention of them here, or the handplane forum at woodnet which is surprising. I can't find any reviews at FWW of the V3 either. The user reviews at Woodcraft website are all positive though, some claiming it's comparable to a LN at 1/3 the price. Today is the last day of the sale, and I'm thinking of getting one. If this catches on, will LN have to reduce their prices to compete? BTW, why are LN planes significantly more expensive then LV planes?
  • skillybob
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • Cedar Park, Texas
    • BT3100

WoodRiver Planes

I have a WoodRiver #5 and am quite pleased with it. I don't have a lot of experience with other plane manufacturers to make a comparison, but I can say that my plane just works. It planes like a dream. I can get paper thin shavings with a sharp blade and it feels good to the hand. The sole was dead flat right out of the box and the wooden parts are beautiful to the eye and hand. I really don't know what else would make them better.
    I think LV products are wonderful and I would like to own them , but I am retired and on a fixed income so I have to be very careful about what I purchase. The money savings was a big factor in my decision to get the WoodRiver.
    I'm certainly not an expert on the LV line of planes but they have a well deserved reputation for quality and customer service. I'm sure the fact that their products are made in North America in their own factory is a big driver for the cost of their product.

Comment

Working...