Need help with a purchase decision

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • brownsfn2
    Handtools only
    • Jan 2011
    • 1

    #1

    Need help with a purchase decision

    Hi. I am brand new to woodworking. I have only made a few things around the house and now I really want to take the next step. I don't own a table saw and I want that to be my fist purchase. I have done a few weeks of research and today I see one of the models that I am considering is on sale and I wanted to get some second opinions before I buy.

    I have a choice right now between two saws. The first is a brand new purchase of a a Craftsman #21833 for $450 (on sale today online) or a USED Craftsman #22114 (OR35505) which is on Craigslist for $400. The guy on Craigs list says it has never been used. I can see some slight rust from the photo but I hear that can be cleard up.

    I went into the store and it seems that the fence on the 22114 is slighly better and it has Cast Iron Extension wings instead of steel which is on the 21833. I do like that fact that the 21833 has wheels since I can push this back into a corner when not in use. Also the 21833 is brand new and I would have the joy of assembly.

    So I was wondering if any of you experienced woodworkers have an opinion out there. The most I was looking to spend was around $450. (which is why I was looking on Craigs list)

    Thanks so much in advance for any help you can offer. I don't want to make a mistake on and important part of my home shop.

    Ron
  • toolguy1000
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 1142
    • westchester cnty, ny

    #2
    that's a nice first post. questions like this usually solicit a host of replies, so here goes. if you like the 21833, then i would go to HD and buy the ridgid r4512. it is virtually the exact same saw as the 21833. the 4512's (and 21833's) principal drawbacks appear to be the two piece front rail, the stamped steel extension wings and the damage the saw may encounter during shipping owing to poor packaging.

    why buy the ridgid over the craftsman? 2 reasons. 1) the ridgid 4512 carries a 3 year warranty and is eleigible for registration in the ridgid lifetime service agreement:

    http://www.ridgid.com/Manuals/RidgidLSA.pdf

    2) if you find the right HD and a 20% ff any single item coupon from harbor freight, the $499 r4512 may be purchased for $399 plus tax. IMHO, at $399, even with the stamped steel wings, it is a very capable saw as evidenced by several comments on the ridgid forum over at ridgid.com.

    i'll admit i don't know a lot about the 22114 saws. these are commonly referred to as the "zip code" saws. when i've seen them in stores, they look capable and they are also hybrid saws, as is the 4512 (motor doesn't hang out the back like a contractor saw). how the trunions are mounted (to the table top on contractor saws and to the cabinet on true hybrids) also differentiate one model of saw form the other.

    there's a lot to be said for cast iron over stamped steel. CI is usually dead flat and the weight helps dampen vibration. rust is usually not an issue and can be cleaned up with varying amounts of effort. here is a band saw i got off CL as a comparison of before and after regarding CI rust(the rust covered shot is the before):



    FWIW, i'd buy the ridgid r4512. it's a solid saw and more than enough saw to satisfy a beginner for many years. i am still using my ridgid ts2412(yes, i'm a ridgid owner) which came with stamped steel wings. and those wings never adversely afffected the ability of the saw to do anything. proper set up and alignment is the most important thing affecting saw peformance unless you are ripping long lengths of thick hardwoods. and the 4512 can be reistered for the lifetime service agreement so any service is on ridgid. speaking from first hand experience, i have never not been satisfied with ridgid's customer service.

    now i'm sure someone will bring up craigs list. and there are very good values out there if you know what to look for and you are patient. i've gotten a few good deals myself. but spending $400 for a used, no guaranty/service agreement saw when you can get a new, warrantied and serviced for life saw for the same price doesn't seem like a good deal to me.

    i'm sure there wil be other opinions. hopefully, after all is said and done, you'll wind up with something that you will enjoy using safely for years. good luck!
    there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

    Comment

    • pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • 4217
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

      #3
      I've often seen folks look at the Rigid 4512 and the Craftsman 21833. I like toolguy's reasoning.

      I've never heard too many complaints about the 22114. The only drawbacks I see is; no warantee and no riving knife. You're going to get a lot more saw with the 22114.
      Erik

      Comment

      • Chris_B
        Established Member
        • Apr 2006
        • 216
        • Cupertino, CA

        #4
        Originally posted by pelligrini
        The only drawbacks I see is; no warantee and no riving knife.
        While I have no first-hand experience with these particular saws, I personally would not buy *any* table saw without a riving knife (OEM or after-market).

        IMO a riving knife is one of the most important pieces of safety gear on a table saw.

        Comment

        • tbarn
          Established Member
          • Jun 2004
          • 163
          • PA, USA.
          • BT3100

          #5
          The craftsman on CL is a nice saw, it looks like a cast iron version of my Ridgid 4511 saw, I love it and it was only $300.
          But who would buy a saw and never use it? I would go over it very closely before giving him $400 If it is missing anything or put together wrong it may more hassle than the savings you will get.
          I agree with the others that you can't go wrong with a new 4512 saw esp if you can get it on sale. You get a lifetime service warranty and even a 30day return if you need it.

          Comment

          • toolguy1000
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2009
            • 1142
            • westchester cnty, ny

            #6
            Originally posted by tbarn
            You get a lifetime service warranty and even a 30day return if you need it.
            in the interests of accuracy, ridgid tools carry a 90 day money back guaranty and its a lifetime service agreement for which the tool must be registered or else it's a 3 year guaranty.
            there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

            Comment

            Working...