X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theveryjenkins
    Handtools only
    • Jan 2011

Ryobi Sander feed rate control

Thanks for the useful tips, Rod. I bought my Ryobi WDS1600 for CAD300 to take the old finish off some used maple flooring. I can find out nothing from the literature that I have downloaded about the feed rate control, and there was no knob. If you happen to know of a x-sectional diagram and/or a source of parts, I'd be glad to hear about it. I would also like to construct a decent mobile base for it. If you have or know of a design, is it online somewhere accessible?

Many thanks
    TVJ
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Rather than add onto a thread that dated 2006 I moved this to start a new Thread. In the parent thread Rod Kirby sent a manual to a member as well as his normal adding useful advice. Btw welcome TVJ! Parent Thread.
    Last edited by Black wallnut; 01-25-2011, 04:32 PM.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• RodKirby
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
      • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Speed control is the knob at the front - on/off switch is behind it. You can see the feed motor sticking out to the right.

All on my rolling cabinet (sorry no plans).

Click image for larger version

Name:	$wds002.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	785533
      Click image for larger version

Name:	$wds003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	785534Click image for larger version

Name:	WDSsupport.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	785535
      Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• theveryjenkins
        Handtools only
        • Jan 2011

Many thanks, Rod. Very helpful and inspiring. My speed knob is missing, and there's a hole where it would have been mounted, so I can't tell whether there was a rheostat or a mechanical control of some sort, and can't tell from anything I've been able to download so far. Do you know?
        Thanks again.
        Ray

Comment

• cork58
          Established Member
          • Jan 2006
          • Wasilla, AK, USA.
          • BT3000

Mine on my performax 16X32 is a rheostat. It is just a way to increase or decrease amps to the motor. I think I would go online and either find a parts book or someone that knows the amp range of your motor. You could look on the motor and the information might just be there, mine is. Then see how much room you have for the switch and go to an electrical supply house and pick one up. The sander is useless without a way to control the feed. Hardwood versus softwood, depth of cut and grit of the sandpaper all play a part of the speed. To fast and it may burn, to slow and it may burn depending on the type of wood used.
          Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• toolguy1000
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2009
            • westchester cnty, ny

it seems steel city tools used to sell this sander, albeit with the 5" max. thickness frame instead of the 3" max thickness frame of the ryobi wds1600.

http://steelcitytoolworks.com/produc...=10&tool=55210

on that same page is a link to their manual for the sander:

http://steelcitytoolworks.com/produc...210_manual.pdf

pages 18 through 36 are the parts diagram for the sander. sadly, it has since been discontinued, but i believe parts are still available through them. at least they were when i inquired about buying the kit that steadies the free end of the sanding drum as rob so expertly did on his own. HTH.
            there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

[ATTACH]16445[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16446[/ATTACH]

From your last post, I think the part you need is the pc board (#128).

PM me your email and I will send the diagram and parts list as jpg files.
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• theveryjenkins
                Handtools only
                • Jan 2011

Many thanks, Don, Cork and HTH for your hints and URLs. I'll take your advice, and let you know how I get on.
                Kind regards,
                Ray (TVJ)

Comment

Working...