• Show
Clear All
  • toolguy1000
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • westchester cnty, ny

mini gloat and a first experience

i acquired a dewalt dw 682 plate joiner recently as shown in these pics:

it came with a bag of "10" biscuits and 2 bags of "20" biscuits. and it must be a little on the older side as it's carrying case is metal and both it and the joiner have "made in usa" stickers on them.

this weekend saw the need for making picture frame window casings for the windows in the basement i'm finishing. since i'll be painting all the baseboards and door and window trim, i decided to make the trim out of mdf and finish off the outer edges with back banding to match the trim in the 1920s vintage house (3 1/2" wide flat casings with back banding). using pocket screws on mdf hasn't really worked for me consistently, so i tried the joiner. here is my first frame:

while it's nothing fancy, it was quick, easy and the joints were really tight. aside from the glue and the need for clamps, i now see why joiners are so popular with so many woodworkers. since my goal is to eventually make furniture pieces as a hobby, i now have an excuse to start accumulating clamps.

one thing i did notice is that slot cutting in mdf is really good for producing dust. does anyone have any first hand experience with hooking this joiner up a shop vac? emptying the dust bag seems so primitive.

and the joiner was $90.
    there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Not a bad score. Looks almost new. Any cutting in MDF is messy.

I picked up a Ryobi model a few years back. I think the bag on it is even cheesier than the Dewalt. I'll hook my shop vac up to mine with a orange flexible hose and a tapered adapter if I have more than just a few cuts to make.

I don't use mine all that often, but biscuits are nice for quick alignment work. Most of the time I forget I have it and I won't think to use it when I probably could have.
    Erik

Comment

• gsmittle
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
      • BT 3100

I hook my 682 up to the shop vac every time I use it. It will take a tapered adapter and some blue tape to make it fit.

g.
      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
      Bill & Ted

Comment

• toolguy1000
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2009
        • westchester cnty, ny

"tapered adapter"? any suggestions as to where i can get one?
        there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

I've gotten one at HD and another at rockler.
          http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
          http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...=tapered%20vac
          Erik

Comment

• gsmittle
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • St. Louis, MO, USA.
            • BT 3100

Erik beat me to it. Perhaps I should have said "stepped adapter" one of those jobbies you get at your local WW store and cut off at the proper diameter.

It's a snow day today, so my brain isn't fully engaged.

g.
            Smit

Bill & Ted

Comment

• toolguy1000
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2009
              • westchester cnty, ny

i have used those on other tools before and have never been really happy with them. i'm trying to find a more elegant, leak free solution.

Comment

• gsmittle
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004
                • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                • BT 3100

Originally posted by toolguy1000
                i have used those on other tools before and have never been really happy with them. i'm trying to find a more elegant, leak free solution.
                Maybe the DW web site has an adapter. I'm not a big fan of the adapters either, but sometimes that's the only thing that really works at all for me, as long as I use a half mile of blue tape to hold it in place.

I also step down my Shop Vac hose from 2 1/2" to 1 1/4", then attach it to the plate joiner.

g.
                Smit

Bill & Ted

Comment

Working...