• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lago
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Lago Vista, TX.

HF OSS vs Rigid OSS ???

LOML gave me a HF OSS for Christmas. I am surprised as much as she hates to go to HF. She did look at the Rigid at BORG but declined due to higher price.

I have the option to take the HF back and get the Rigid. I did see some of the reviews for Rigid and some were not too good.

I am just looking for pros/cons on the 2 before I make the decision. Has anyone had problems with either one.

Ken
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Ken - The Ridgid offers both a spindle and belt sander options, which is handy. When I researched it, the owner responses were heavily favorable. I bought it and have been very pleased with it.

Regardless, if the HF unit works, I'd be inclined to keep the one that the LOML gave me for Christmas...that's quite a gesture on her part, and shouldn't be taken too lightly. My fear is that if you return it, she'll never make the attempt again.

Merry Christmas!
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

The Ridgid is definitely a lot more machine. In addition to the belt mode, which is use mostly, it has huge table that tilts.

JR
      JR

Comment

• jonathan55
        Established Member
        • Jun 2005
        • Cleveland, Ohio, USA.
        • BT3100

Originally posted by Knottscott
        Regardless, if the HF unit works, I'd be inclined to keep the one that the LOML gave me for Christmas...that's quite a gesture on her part, and shouldn't be taken too lightly. My fear is that if you return it, she'll never make the attempt again.

Merry Christmas!

I second that!

That said I have had the HF for 5 or 6 years, have used it quite a bit and have no complaits. I am wondering how that Ridgid works as a belt sander?

Jonathan
        Last edited by jonathan55; 12-25-2010, 06:27 PM.

Comment

• lago
          Established Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Lago Vista, TX.

I don't think she would have a problem since her present was twice as much as what she paid. We will try to stop at BORG tomorrow and take a look at the Rigid.

Ken

Comment

• Sawatzky
            Established Member
            • Apr 2005
            • CA
            • Ridgid TS3650

The Ridgid is a nice sander. I bought it and am glad I did. The other advantage is that the Ridgid has a lifetime service agreement. That Lifetime Service Agreement is why my shop is looking a lot more orange lately. I added a Ridgid circular saw and Ridgid router combo for Christmas!

Comment

• Cochese
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2010

I'm saving for the Ridgid, and I'm trying to be good with my funds.
              I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• kevincan
                Established Member
                • Oct 2006
                • Central Illinois
                • Craftsman 21829

I have a Performax OSS which is the same as the HF one. I have been very happy with it. I was thinking about getting the Ridgid but when the Performax went on sale for $90 I got that instead. I have not had any issues with the table size and it has done everything that I needed it to do.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2007
                  • Buena Park, CA
                  • CM 21829

Already having belt and disk, I picked up the HF OSS on sale several years ago, and it has done a great job, no complaints.
                  Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• phrog
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2005
                    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Regarding Ridgid's Lifetime Warranty: I bought a Ridgid Flip-Top stand about 3 years ago. (It had a 2 year warranty.) The first time I used it, the adjustment lever broke off in my hand. I sent Ridgid an email and asked if they would send me a new lever. (Easy replacement -remove a screw, take the old one off, new one on, and replace screw.) No, they told me to take to my nearest Ridgid service center and suggested where I take it. I took it there and was told that they could not find the part in the Ridgid part catalog. They would have to call Ridgid to get the part and they would call me when it came in. That was a couple years ago and I'm still waiting. As a result, I no longer buy Ridgid tools.
                    Richard

Comment

• Joe DeFazio
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jan 2006
                      • Pittsburgh, PA
                      • BT3100

Although I like a good HF bargain as much as anyone, I say: get the Ridgid.

The oscillating belt sander is extremely handy; I use it about half of the time. It allows you to sand a flat edge with ease (very tricky with a spindle, and without the burning/grooving you might get with a regular belt sander).

The tilting table practically doubles the versatility of the unit, as it lets you do miters and shaping at many different angles. It also has a miter gauge slot, which comes in handy.

The much larger table is also good to have. Although it is not easy to clamp fences and jigs/fixtures to it, due to its honeycombed bottom, you will find ways to do so (or you can fill in the honeycombing with plywood, bondo, or another material of your choice). If you clamp a fence or a fixture to the table, you will then find plenty of other uses for the unit.

Comment

• jeepman71
                        Established Member
                        • Nov 2008

I have the Rigid and do like it but I am space challenged. If I had the space I would opt for the HF OSS and add a disc/belt for the difference in price.

Comment

• scmhogg
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                          • BT3000

One more vote for the Ridgid. I have one of the grey ones. I use the vertical belt more than the spindles. A vertical belt allows you to do much more than a horizontal belt.

The bottoms of the belts tend to get frayed over time. DON'T LET THAT HAPPEN! Literally took me an hour to pick out the threads, to be able to remove the belt apparatus.

Steve
                          I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

Working...