• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lonnie in Orlando
    • May 2003
    • Orlando, FL, USA.
    • BT3000

Doh! - Hitachi SB10Y Disc/Belt Sander

If you have a Hitachi SB10Y disc/belt sander, will you please remove the belt and tell me where the spring on the idler drum assembly that pulls the belt tight goes?

Here's why ...
    The SB10Y that I bought on close out at Lowes for $50 in July started making noise and vibrating. So I took it apart to find the problem. I found that the bearings in the idler drum assembly have turned to black powder.

I called Hitachi. They said that I voided the warranty by removing the part. But a technician told me to put it back together and take it to a warranty shop.

Senior moment - - I don't remember where the spring goes that tensions the assembly to pull the belt tight. The pic below shows where I put it, but it doesn't pull the belt tight enough. It would exert more pressure if it were between the plate that is above the tension lever and the idler assembly. Rather than just do it, I would rather ask you to be sure.

Gotta get it right before I take it to the repair shop. Do you see any other pieces in the wrong place?

Thanks for your help,

- Lonnie
    Attached Files
    OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Hopefully someone will have an answer for you soon. I may not be able to check until tomorrow night.

I got a few different grit belts from Woodcraft a while back. I think they are Norton. The one I put on doesn't get all that tight. I've got the lever moved all the way, but it will still just scrape the plastic dust guard. I haven't bothered to see if there is a way to tighten any more from inside.
    Erik

Comment

• herb fellows
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • New York City
      • bt3100

I'm pretty sure it goes in the next section up, above where your arrow is. Let me go take a look...
      Yep, that's it!
      Everything else looks good to go.
      You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
        • May 2003
        • Orlando, FL, USA.
        • BT3000

Thanks for your help, guys. I'm off to see the repair shop tomorrow.

- Lonnie

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Wonder if this is going to be a common problem? Doubt mine is still in warranty.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
            • May 2003
            • Orlando, FL, USA.
            • BT3000

Pappy -

I did a fast web search before I posted my question to see if the problem showed up anywhere else. Didn't find anything. So it may not be too common.

FWIW - My sander hasn't been used much. I am still on my first belt and disc.

- Lonnie

Comment

• sweensdv
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • WI
              • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Originally posted by Pappy
              Wonder if this is going to be a common problem? Doubt mine is still in warranty.
              That exact sander is now badged under a number of different brand names so if this was a common problem I doubt if that would be the case. The regional Farm & Fleet stores in this area currently have the Powertec badged version on sale for $89.00 thru Dec. 19th. I don't recall the name right now but I have seen this exact sander offered under at least one other brand as well.

Comment

Working...