X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skaning
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2010

Craftsman Router Collet Questions

Have an ancient Craftsman 1/4 inch rouiter which suffers from a sticking collet/ bit issue. This router dates from somewhere in the 60's, apparently made by Diehl Mfg Co before Ryobi bought them out. By todays standards it's a 1 horse lightweight but it still works well.

Need a new collet but it's past the point where Sears list any parts available for the router. First question is does anyone know whether the 1/4" collets stayed consistent even after the Ryobi buyout. This is a unit where the motor shaft was machined to receive the collet.

Second question is has anybody any experience with the "quick change router bit adapter, Sears No 26691. While I can see possible balance issues it looks like a way to get past a mystery collet. By the way, it says for ALL Craftsman 1/4 " routers which says the collet nut thread is the same. That leads back tho the initial question.
  • vaking
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2005
    • Montclair, NJ, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100-1

I have used similar adapter except my router is not 1/4" collet. Adapter works fine. You will need to install a matching ring on a bit you want to use. I would recommend to get several of those so you don't have move the ring from one bit to another. I used this adapter in the router table but it can work in hand too. In a table adapter has few advantages:
    The bit is very easy to remove or insert without any wrenches from above the table.
    You can remove the bit, then put it back and height adjustment stays.
    Alex V

Comment

Working...