Drive belt replacement for Ryobi AP-12

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • phountinhed

    #1

    Drive belt replacement for Ryobi AP-12

    Greetings!

    I recently picked up a used AP-12 Ryobi planer that appears to be in good order except for the drive belt. I ordered a new drive belt off e-bay and it arrived today.

    Finding a manual for this unit was near impossible but I finally located one and a parts breakdown (easier to find). Neither has any info about replacing the belt.

    I removed the outer casing and exposed the two pulleys where the belt attaches but do not see any way to adjust the tension to make installation possible.

    The belt is a poly urethane type ribbed on the side that contacts the pulleys which have matching grooves.

    I tried putting the belt in hot water for 10 minutes to see if it would loosen up like a poly bandsaw tire but no luck there.

    Does anyone know anything about these planers inner workings? Do I have to take something else apart?

    I am at a loss and I don't want to damage anything by exploring further without more information.

    Thanks.

    Kingsley
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • 4187
    • Lexington, SC.

    #2
    Kingsley,

    I don't know anything about Ryobi planners but the BT3100 table saw uses two poly belts. There is no tension adjustment on the table saw. You just have to get one edge on both pulleys and then gently tap the belt into position. I got pretty frustrated the one time I did this and I will have to do it again soon. I have to remove the motor because the height adjustment threads are shot and the only way to fix it is to remove the motor and put in a helicoil. Anyway, you might want to research belt replacement on the BT3100 - you may find an article on that or a thread. Your AP-12 may require the same sort of frustrating but possible replacement process.

    Jim

    Comment

    • phountinhed

      #3
      Got it on...

      I soaked it again in hot water and muscled it on with a couple of flat edge screwdrivers.

      I really hope I never have to do that again....

      Comment

      Working...