• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Footprint Tools

I was in Sears today and saw a small line of hand tools under the brand name "Footprint", made in Sheffield, England.

The chisels looked decent. The pull saws didn't appear to be the best quality and the selection was limited.

There were also a couple of block planes and a couple of bench planes. I took a 60 1/2 out of the box to check it out. The cutter looked good but that was about the only thing that did. Castings were poor quality, the mouth adjustment was rough, and the cutter adjustment mechanisms looked cheap and flimsey.

If this was an example of the qualty one can expect from this company, I will keep looking for saws and will stick to my Stanley planes.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Here's a Stanley #1 for you.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...884672223.html
    JR

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

If I had the money I might consider it. Does look like a repaired crack in the tote just below the level of the adjustment screw.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Pappy,

How did the chisels look to you, compared to the old blue Marples?
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

The chisels looked decent but I didn't take one out of the package. The first link is to Footprint Sheffield and the second is to Sears.

http://www.footprint-tools.co.uk/index_home.htm

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10...l&viewItems=24
          Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• Knottscott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Rochester, NY.
            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

IIRC, Sears put the chisel set on sale for something like $22 a year or so ago. That sounded like a pretty good deal, but otherwise I'd be apt to avoid any of the bargain import hand planes completely and stick with the well proven older Bailey, Record, Millers Falls, Sargent, or Union planes.
            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• natausch
              Established Member
              • Aug 2009
              • Aurora, IL
              • BT3000 - 15A

I did pick up one of the 40-50's atomic green Craftsman jack planes at a garage sale for $10, boxed and with only a small amount of light surface rust. Since then I've picked up a similar era block and bench. To be honest, the fit and finish isn't in the same class as Stanley of the same age, but considering they sell for around 1/5th of the price they're very servicable non-shop jewelry planes.

Comment

• ironhat
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004
                • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Footprints chisels

While I still haven't used the ones that Brian Holbren sold me for a $50 closeout price you might consider asking him - I'll send him a PM and ask so that we don't give one line of their products an undue slight.
                Blessings,
                Chiz

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

Originally posted by ironhat
                  While I still haven't used the ones that Brian Holbren sold me for a $50 closeout price you might consider asking him - I'll send him a PM and ask so that we don't give one line of their products an undue slight.

While I am sure I am being a little naive over thinking/hoping that the factory that produced the Blue Chips (which I have), started making the Footprint chisels when Marples sold off, I only started seeing them for sale, after the Irwin buyout.

I have almost a full set, and was thinking the Footprint set, might be a good, inexpensive project/learning the Tormek, set for my father. (We are going to a demo on Saturday and I am looking at getting some of the stuff I don't have)
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Holbren
                    • Oct 2004
                    • Heathrow, FL.

The footprint chisels are pretty good. Only complaint you usually year with the English steel is it's soft. Then you compare it to some of the German chisels which is harder but take more time to sharpen. it's a give and take.

I'm not familiar with their other tools though. Wonder where they are made or if they even make them.
                    Brian
                    Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
                    "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                    www.holbren.com

Comment

Working...