• Show
Clear All
  • Sawatzky
    Established Member
    • Apr 2005
    • CA
    • Ridgid TS3650

Craftsman Professional router opinions

I would like to have another router to permanently mount to my router table. I have been thinking about the Bosch kit, but was in Sears today and took a look at the new 28190 Craftsman Professional router. Most of the craftsman tools I have owned I have gotten rid of or replaced with better tools, but this router looks solid. It has above the table hight adjustment, 12.5 amps with variable speed, and I think has above the table bit changing ability. I played with the locking mechanism and it is almost identical to the Bosch system. Overall the router seemed very solid and well built. It would be nice to have a kit with a plunge base, but I already have a PC690LR router for hand-held use - a very solid router. The Craftsman is currently on sale for $116.00, half the price of the Bosch. What do you think? Would this make a good table router?
    Attached Files
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I doubt it it's on par with the Bosch, but I've read a lot of positive comments from owners of that particular router, and very few complaints. Seems to be quite a bang for the buck.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• gsmittle
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
      • BT 3100

I'm pretty sure (too lazy to look it up right now) that this router is sourced from Bosch and is a copy of the 1618. Don't quote me on that, though.

Sometimes you can find the Bosch 2-base kit on sale on Amazon. I bought the kit about a year ago, and looooooooove the router. Since this one looks like a Bosch clone, it ought to do you pretty well.

I don't have the issues with Craftsman that a lot of people do. Most of my Craftsman stuff is mechanic's tools though.

Happy Father's Day to all!

g.
      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
      Bill & Ted

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

The price is right but.. you already have a fixed base router. Are you considering it simply to get the above the table adjustment? If you don't have a plunge I would personally get one at some point as it is an essensial tool in my arsenal.

Good luck...

Comment

• vaking
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2005
          • Montclair, NJ, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100-1

I believe that 28084 is a 3-base kit with the same router. I think it is a better value than a single router. On the other hand Crafstman version of a Bosch-made 1617 is still available and for about same money at Sears near me.
          http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...2&blockType=G2
          Alex V

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

If it has separate 1/4 and 1/2 collets then I agree it is the Bosch relabeled as a Craftsman. Sears tools are often relabels but sometimes one of the tool manufacturers makes something to Sears specs too. Sears doesn't make anything. The weakness of their routers is the collet. If it checks out then it is worth owning. I would also check the price of a rebuilt Craftsman or Bosch if you like this router. There is a big 15amp Hitachi you can often get at a good price. It is a plunge router you can let have screw height adjustment with a router razer.

Features I like in a router table are the screw height adjustment and speed adjustment (although I do that with an aftermarket device on mine). And a router worth using has to have a good collet.

Jim

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

IIRC the Craftsman version of the Bosch 1617 (cman 26620) was discontinued a couple of years ago.

Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...