• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Norm in Fujino
    • Dec 2002
    • Fujino-machi, Kanagawa-ken, Japan.
    • Ryobi BT-3000

Home-made scaffolding?

Anybody every made/used Simple Homemade Scaffolding like this set on the Fine Homebuilding site?

I'm thinking of making a set, and have been considering using 12' 2x4s instead--still bolting them together at the 8' point, but allowing the extra top part to serve as points to fasten hand rails.

Any thoughts?
    ==========
    ". . . and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
    Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township
  • BobSch
    • Aug 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

It looks like it would work but I'd make sure the pivot point can be locked so it can't fold out from under you.
    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Norm in Fujino
      • Dec 2002
      • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by BobSch
      It looks like it would work but I'd make sure the pivot point can be locked so it can't fold out from under you.
      Yeah, I'd already thought about that, and the instructions say the same thing: "A chain or rope can be strung between the A-frame’s legs to prevent them from spreading too far apart."

I'm thinking of some kind of locking arm (wood or aluminum), so long as it doesn't add too much to the weight--but if I add handrails at the top, they should serve the same purpose, so long as they were bolted at the top of both 2x4s.

==========

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

I'm looking at the setup, and it seems it would take up space. You could rig it to be sturdy, but changing heights appears to be removing/installing mechanical fasteners. Almost like building it every time it's used. It reminds me of the double ladder use, which can get tipsy.

I had some thoughts on a DIY scaffold in this thread.

Comment

• August86
          Forum Newbie
          • Nov 2009
          • near Athens, GA

The higher you go, the wide the "ladders" should be and at some point you'll need more diagonal bracing on the "ladder" width. You can use cleats on the walk boards, but better might be notched boards to lock the "a"s.

Mike D.

[QUOTE=Norm in Fujino;463728]Yeah, I'd already thought about that, and the instructions say the same thing: "A chain or rope can be strung between the A-frame’s legs to prevent them from spreading too far apart."

I'm thinking of some kind of locking arm (wood or aluminum), so long as it doesn't add too much to the weight--but if I add handrails at the top, they should serve the same purpose, so long as they were bolted at the top of both 2x4s.

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

About 20 years ago, I needed to re-side 3 sides of my two story house. I bought 3 or 4 pump jacks, some pressure treated 2x4s, and some pressure treated 2x12s. I glued and nailed the 2x4s together to make 24 or 30 foot posts (can't remember at this point) staggering the joints 8 feet or so. The 2x12s were what I walked on. These worked very well. When I was done, my late wife sold them for next to nothing in a yard sale. They had paid for themselves.

Jim

Comment

• Norm in Fujino
              • Dec 2002
              • Ryobi BT-3000

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. My house is almost 10m high on the highest gable end, but I'll be having full professional scaffolding put up in the fall for a roof replacement (but with platforms only on the higher levels), so I'll use that for reaching the highest points. I want to get the siding done to a midway point before then, tho, thus the thoughts about the homemade scaffolding. I guess I might as well get started building it.
              ==========

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

Norm,

You should price some pump jacks. You raise them by stepping on a lever after flipping another lever. For siding, they are very useful. You can make up a 4x4 post as long as you want with 2x4s with joints staggered. The bottom sits on the ground or a block, the top goes into a bracket screwed to the roof. I think I used 3 to cover about 20 or 24 feet at a time.

Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Qual-Craft-220.../dp/B0000224MP

Jim

Comment

• Norm in Fujino
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Ryobi BT-3000

Pump jacks are something I thought about too late. I doubt they're available here in Japan (I could've brought in a pair for free with my recent container load, rats).
                  ==========

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2007
                    • Tacoma, WA
                    • BT3000

I would have thought you would go for something like this:

Or is bamboo not that available in your area?

Bill

Comment

• Norm in Fujino
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
                      Or is bamboo not that available in your area?
                      Funny, somebody over on FHB just asked the same thing. Actually, there's lots of bamboo here, but I don't think I've ever seen it used in scaffolding;guess it's just a difference in cultures (it's used pretty widely in China and SE Asia). Thirty years ago I used to see lots of wooden pole scaffolding, and it's still used for relatively small jobs (or by smaller contractors); they even have special wires and tools for bending it around the poles, but almost everywhere they're now using site-built scaffolding of steel pipe joined with connectors. Here's some of the wood pole stuff:

Some steel pipe scaffolding:
                      ==========

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2007
                        • Tacoma, WA
                        • BT3000

I imagine in just the skill needed it's less expensive to put up pipe scaffolding than the pole or bamboo, but it sure is a lot less interesting to look at.

I find it interesting the different solutions to the same problem that different people come up with. Even the steel pipe scaffolding is not like what you see in the states (at least I haven't see it like that expect in a shipyard) where we tend to use modular units to build the scaffold. It will be interesting to hear what your neighbors think of what you come up with to work off of.

Bill, over here on the other side of the bigger pond

Comment

Working...