• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris_B
    Established Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Cupertino, CA

Rikon 10-325 base mod?

As I'm mounting the Rikon 10-325 bandsaw to the base, the interface between the upper assembly and the lower cabinet seems a little flimsy (particularly compared to the reinforced green base supporting the cabinet). Also, the four mounting bolts are only M6, and the washers barely cover the holes.

So I am considering removing the two small welded spacers under the white base assembly 'foot' and inserting a recessed piece of 3/4" plywood or MDF sized to fit. This would be very easy prior to assembly, and should stiffen the interface considerably.

Have any of you done something like this?
    Does anyone notice flex at this interface?
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

I don't own that saw, but pics? Is there a way to add a stiffener without removing the spacers? I hesitate to at least permanently remove parts.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• garymuto
      Established Member
      • Aug 2007
      • Encinitas, CA
      • Delta Cabinet Saw

I agree that it seems flimsey. I assembled mine per the instructions and the assembly is more rigid than expected. Rikon could've done a better job but it works OK. adding a stiffener rather than replacing sounds like a good idea.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
        Veteran Member
        • May 2003
        • Nanuet, NY, USA.
        • BT3100

Chris,

I've had the 325 since it first came out, assembled as per instructions (if you can call them that), no problems and I re-saw a lot of thick hard stock.

I just wish the rolling base (HTC3000) was as solid. One of these days I'll remake a "really" good rolling base.

BTW, have you or anyone else tried the Carter micro rollers for the saw, at $200.00 they seem a bit pricey, but do they do the job. I'm getting sick and tired using a wrench when I adjust the rollers. I guess that changing blades often (3/4 to 1/8) can get to you.

Bruce
        "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
        Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• catta12
          Established Member
          • Jan 2008
          • Reno, NV
          • BTS20R

I have a 10-325 assembled per instructions. I don't have any problems with that part of the assembly and I doubt you would either.
          If you can read this you assembled wrong.

Alan

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

I've had mine for 2 years, and no troubles at all. As for the mobile base, Rikon recommends that one that WC sells with just the four corners, and you cut a piece of ply to size. That one has been rock-stable for me.

Comment

Working...