• Show
Clear All
  • bigstick509
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Macomb, MI, USA.
    • BT3100

Opinions on Rotary Hammer Drill

I have needed a hammer drill for some time and just got a e-mail coupon for this HF model, does anyone have any experience with this drill. Any input will be appreciated.
    My coupon price is $ 49.95.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-1-...campaign=2010B

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain
  • aggrex
    Established Member
    • Jan 2009
    • PA
    • Ridgid

[QUOTE=bigstick509;462517]I have needed a hammer drill for some time and just got a e-mail coupon for this HF model, does anyone have any experience with this drill. Any input will be appreciated.
    My coupon price is $ 49.95QUOTE]

Except for my nice HF multi-function tool @29 I usually avoid HF electric power tools but for 49 and those specs I would try it. HF has a good return policy/cheap tool insurance plan for a limited use (me) hammerdrill. Your feedback could influence my next electric HF powertool.

Comment

• bigstick509
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Macomb, MI, USA.
      • BT3100

Thanks aggrex, your view is exactly the situation that I'm looking at. I have only a occasional need for a hammer drill, but in my experience a hammer only function just does not do the job. I can't see spending $100.00 plus for a top line tool, and renting on demand never seems like a great idea to me. I have till May 23 on the coupon to decide and will post if I decide to buy.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• gjat
        • Nov 2005
        • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
        • BT3100

I bought a couple of them for my crews for occaisional use. They work fine, and after a year, all three are still working. I would think they're way too big for homeowner use. I use smaller combo hammer drills around the house. I've got a battery Bosch and a cheap corded Firestorm I bought on close-out for $30 somewhere. Either have done everything I want.

Comment

• JimD
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Lexington, SC.

I have no experience with that model. Because it has a separate hammer mode, however, it is different from my little hammer drill. Mine works with two plates with small projections on them rotate against each other. This moves the chuck back and forth as the drill turns. It works well for small holes in concrete or somewhat bigger holes in brick (I have used mine up to about 1/2 inch in brick mortar joints). Works great for concrete screws.

A rotary hammer, with the hammering mechanism separate from the drill, is for serious sized holes in concrete and also for light duty jack-hammer type things. If you need to drill large holes in concrete or light duty jack hammer things, then this a a very good price for this type of tool. I presume it would do little holes too but it seems like it would be heavy and not as handy for little things my drill would do.

Jim

Comment

• frumper64
            Established Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Garland, Tx, USA.

I picked on of these up recently and have used it to drill a bunch of 3/8" holes in some very old and hard concrete (in order to insert concrete anchors). While it is indeed big and a bit heavy, it did a great job on the holes - far less effort than my old Hitachi hammer drill and way faster in getting the holes done. I think this thing is a winner.
            Jim
            64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• bigstick509
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Macomb, MI, USA.
              • BT3100

Originally posted by frumper64
              I picked on of these up recently and have used it to drill a bunch of 3/8" holes in some very old and hard concrete (in order to insert concrete anchors). While it is indeed big and a bit heavy, it did a great job on the holes - far less effort than my old Hitachi hammer drill and way faster in getting the holes done. I think this thing is a winner.
              Thanks Jim, the last time I had to drill a few holes in concrete I used a straight hammer drill from work and vowed that it would me the last time. Years ago I used a Porter Cable rotary hammer drill at a job site installation and it went threw anything like butter. I'm going to pull the trigger on this purchase this week, nothing like a new toy, I mean tool.

Mike

Comment

• mineengineer
                Established Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
                • BT3000 and BT3100 Frankensaw

Good for the price

I have had that one for a few years now and it has served me well and it is still running after alot of abuse from me. I have used it to install hundreds of 1/4 inch redhead wall anchors for shelves in my basement. I also used it to drill through a 8 inch thick slab for running 4" , 2" and 3/4" pipes for a bathroom remodel. Have also used it in just hammer mode to break up small pieces of concrete. It is heavy though, and it has alot of power/torque so be careful with it. Never stop drilling with the bit still in the hole cause it can get stuck if you do. Great for the price and if you want to use regular bits instead of SDS style you can buy a adaptor at HD for about 30 bucks that lets it chuck regular bits.
                Link

Comment

Working...