• Show
Clear All
  • Bill Stock
    Established Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Canada, Eh!
    • BT3100

New Log Splitter - Not so much

I have a shed full of Cherry and a pile of Mountain Ash to spilt. I've read a lot of good and bad about these elextric marvels, but kinda expected the worst. So I started on the pieces of Ash about 14"+ across and about a foot long. It actually split the first one, but it was down hill from there. It would split the large diameter thin slices, but would not touch the longer logs. I'm hoping it will split the smaller diameter Ash and the Cherry OK.

I tried getting the Maul out for the Ash that would not split and soon discovered who the oldest tool is. :-) Fortunately the splitting wedge made manageable chucnks of the harder Ash.

It's a 5 ton electric Chaiwanese model. Any tips for tweaking this thing?
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Never used an electric, only gas. Dunno if there is any tweaking you can do. Gas ones I used never had a problem. Are you trying to go through the middle of the log? Can you try spitting smaller pieces off the sides and see what happens?
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Bill Stock
      Established Member
      • Nov 2006
      • Canada, Eh!
      • BT3100

Originally posted by crokett
      Never used an electric, only gas. Dunno if there is any tweaking you can do. Gas ones I used never had a problem. Are you trying to go through the middle of the log? Can you try spitting smaller pieces off the sides and see what happens?
      Thanks,

I tried rotating the log as they suggested, but on the harder chunks the wedge would barely make an impression in the log. Once I split the harder ones manually it would split most of the halves, but not all. The Ash has been out in the wet all winter, so I'm hoping the Cherry will be easier.

There's a limiter switch that they warn not to play with, but I'm tempted.

I'd love a big gas toy, but I just don't get enough wood to justify it. This marvel was on sale.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

Originally posted by Bill Stock
        This marvel was on sale.
        And worth every penny, from the sounds of it. Rent one with some balls, and be done with it...

Comment

• Bill Stock
          Established Member
          • Nov 2006
          • Canada, Eh!
          • BT3100

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
          And worth every penny, from the sounds of it. Rent one with some balls, and be done with it...
          Thanks, renting is against my religion, except for the one time use items. I'll play with this thing some more to see if it can cut it on the smaller logs; if not I'll return it.

Comment

• jackellis
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

I have a 4 ton Ryobi but I only use it on pine, cedar and fir because that's what we have up here. For those woods, it works exceedingly well, especially considering the $300 price. I was able to split 28" diameter, 18" long rounds with some difficulty - they're really way too big for the carriage. Did about four cords last fall a lot faster and with a lot less effort than doing it by hand.

I've also had a little better luck with softwoods when they're green and the grain is straight. When the grain is twisted, a sledge or maul comes in handy.

Comment

• knotley
              Established Member
              • Apr 2003
              • Canada.

Originally posted by jackellis
              I have a 4 ton Ryobi but I only use it on pine, cedar and fir because that's what we have up here. For those woods, it works exceedingly well, especially considering the $300 price. I was able to split 28" diameter, 18" long rounds with some difficulty - they're really way too big for the carriage. Did about four cords last fall a lot faster and with a lot less effort than doing it by hand.

I've also had a little better luck with softwoods when they're green and the grain is straight. When the grain is twisted, a sledge or maul comes in handy.
              I also have the 4 ton Ryobi. I have used it for about 5 years. Very happy with it. Now it is rebranded as a Homelite. It has a bit of a cult following - videos on youtube!

Comment

Working...