• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lago
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Lago Vista, TX.

Which HF sand blaster?

I am starting to restore an old Delta 8" jointer and need to remove the sloppy crappy paint job the PO did.

HF has 2 in my price range:

and

Anybody have any experience with either?

TIA

Ken
  • Mr__Bill
    Veteran Member
    • May 2007
    • Tacoma, WA
    • BT3000

The size of your compressor will make part of the decision for you. Whichever you get make sure you can get replacement tips. They wear out fast and the bigger they get you use more air and sand.

I haven't used either, I got an even cheaper one from HF. I am always stopping to add sand, which isn't bad as it gives the compressor a chance to catch up.

Bill
    a real man can give advice on something he knows nothing about.....

Comment

• scmhogg
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2003
      • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
      • BT3000

Ken,

I also, have no experience with either of these units. I have a friend with a large compressor and sand blaster.

See if the unit you purchase will handle baking soda. It is easy to clean up and not as bad for your health.

Steve
      I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
        • May 2003
        • Orlando, FL, USA.
        • BT3000

Ken:

I have the HF #37025 connected to this HF compressor

This is the only sandblaster I have ever used, so take my info with a "grain of sand." I've blown paint off of a few steel items. It's pretty effective if I get close to the workpiece. A lot faster and better result than using a wire wheel. Sometimes blows short bursts of empty air.

Northern Tool sells blasting media pretty cheap. I have also used play sand from HD ... make sure that it is dry.

Use full protection goggles, good dust mask, ear plugs (to stop sand), hat, long sleeves, gloves, etc.

Good luck with your jointer restoration.

- Lonnie

>> EDIT:
        Info on Sand Blasting Basics. As noted in the article, the pressurized HF blaster #30979 may be more effecient (?)
        Last edited by Lonnie in Orlando; 03-25-2010, 08:24 PM.
        OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• John Fox
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2010

Avoid the sand blasters, hazardous to your health

I don't know about these but I tried the red bottle sand blaster on a bike frame. It took a long time and it was a mess everywhere. It plugged up a lot too. I didn't have a strong enough compressor either. In the long run I should have taken it to a place that does it.

Comment

Working...