• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iceman61
    • Oct 2007
    • West TN
    • Bosch 4100-09

Is this a Delta Unisaw?

Is this a Unisaw, or just a cabinet saw?...or is a cabinet saw actually a unisaw?

• sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Unisaw is the trade name for Delta cabinet saws. Modern era Unisaws will have at least a 3HP motor.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Yep.. and a reasonable price for that matter.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Looks like a Unisaw. They also called 'em tilting arbor saws. Being 220V it could be 3HP.

Comment

• kramer katt
          Established Member
          • Aug 2004
          • SO CAL, USA
          • BT3100 and Craftsman 100

You can see DELTA name tag
          but could be a Delta Hybrid saw (not a unisaw)
          Get model or serial no to verify
          Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler
          --Albert Einstein

Comment

• cgallery
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Milwaukee, WI
            • BT3K

Nope.

It is a hybrid (NOT Unisaw). You can tell because the elevation wheel is too high (because that is where the trunnion is). The blade elevation wheel on a real Unisaw is several inches lower.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Originally posted by cgallery
              Nope.

It is a hybrid (NOT Unisaw). You can tell because the elevation wheel is too high (because that is where the trunnion is). The blade elevation wheel on a real Unisaw is several inches lower.
              Good catch CG.. if I had been looking closely I should have noticed. The crank wheel on a Uni-saw is lower indeed and it is larger in diameter. What threw me off is the motor cover is on the right side. Every left tilt Delta Hybrid I have seen the motor cover is on the left with the switch on left. This very well be an early right tilt and I do't think they make the right tilt anymore. The Uni and hybrid did come with a Biesemeyer.

Hybrids and cabinets look similar on the outside. The truth lies inside the cabinet with the trunnnions. A Hybrid has them mounted to the bottom of the table where a cabinet saw had them mounted to the cabinet. The owner may be a lefty and re-mounted the switch to the right for personal perference for whatever reason as I have never seen any Delta come stock with switch on right but.. then again I have never seen every Uni-saw... I did have one for 4 years but a left tilt.

One look under the hood would tell for sure. You cannot strickly go on HP as the early Delta Rockwell Unisaws had a 2 HP Marathon motor. But it would have likely stated Delta-Rockwell on the plate.

But have to agree this is most likely a hybrid and if that is the case... I wouldn't give $500 for it and especially if it is the early right tilt which I suspect. About $350-$400 max would be a good price as long as all is well. I would call the owner and ask about the HP and if hybrid (which it is) and if it is left or right tilt.
              Last edited by Guest; 03-25-2010, 06:23 PM.

Comment

• iceman61
                • Oct 2007
                • West TN
                • Bosch 4100-09

You guys are pretty slick. I learn something new every day reading this forum. I had always heard about unisaws but had never heard of a hybrid. I'm not in the market for a new saw but like most guys here are with their tools, I can't resist a good deal. Just to cure my curiosity I may call to find out if it is a hybrid.

I'll let you guys know what I find out, but it sounds like you already have it nailed.

Comment

Working...