• Show
Clear All
  • phrog
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Anyone Use Mini Turning Tools?

Woodcraft has this set of "mini" turning tools on sale thru Saturday:

Whether you're a seasoned artisan or a novice enthusiast, shop Woodcraft for expert advice, unbeatable prices, superior brands, and a woodworking experience like no other. Explore our vast selection of premium wood, tools, and accessories, meticulously curated to fuel your passion for creating timeless pieces.

Just wondered if anyone has used these and what you think? Or what do you think of "mini" turning tools in general?

Will be using them for pens and possibly chess pieces.
    Thanks for any suggestions or comments.
    Richard
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

At that price, they may be fine. But overall, it's best to use full-size chisels for control. Better grip, and more metal to dampen chatter.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

I have the set, but use them only for fine-shaping on chess pieces and the like. They are not massive enough to do much else.

Comment

• guycox
        Established Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Romulak, VA, USA.

I have a similar set, the only one that is useless is the 1/16" spindle gouge. It's impossible to sharpen and it's too thin to be of much use. I use the square scraper for cutting tenons on pens and transitions of bottle stoppers.
        Guy Cox

Life isn\'t like a box of chocolates...it\'s more like a jar of jalapenos.
        What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow.

Comment

Working...