• Show
Clear All
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Skil flooring saw

I just saw this in the new issue of wood and thought, gee... I wish I had that when I did my wood floors!

I think in straight lines, but dream in curves
  • Hoover
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • USA.

At lowe's the price is $159.00. It looks interesting.
    No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• herb fellows
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • New York City
      • bt3100

I think our friend Osorio the flooring contractor needed that. I'm pretty sure in hindsight Ryobi would have gladly bought him one.
      You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Looks like a handy compact saw. One thing I did notice is that for crosscutting and miters, it looks good, but for ripping, it looks dangerous. Not much room between the blade and the fence, and hard to guide a through cut. Reminds me of the same problem as ripping with a RAS.

Comment

• gjat
          • Nov 2005
          • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
          • BT3100

Very interesting concept. Think of the safety factor for cross cutting, compared to the SawStop.
          -You're moving just the saw, a known and finite mass, as compared to moving the wood of infinite sizes and mass.
          -The blade is pretty well covered, almost eliminating any accidental touching when moving wood (or moving the saw).
          -I can see a law-suit against SS for promoting old 'exposed blade' technology when this concept has been around for years.

When using Law for profiteering, be careful of how good your argument is.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

Just reminds me of a cross between a tile saw, and a guided circular saw system.

How hard would it be to use a plywood base, with a stop/fence on one end, and a piece of track for a miter gauge at the other?
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Shep
              • Nov 2008
              • Columbus, OH
              • Hitachi C10FL

I remember the problem I had when laying my laminate hardwood floors. I did all the cutting in my basement shop, and I had to make about 100 trips up and down the stairs. This thing would have saved a bunch of time.
              -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• chopnhack
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2006
                • Florida
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Shep
                I remember the problem I had when laying my laminate hardwood floors. I did all the cutting in my basement shop, and I had to make about 100 trips up and down the stairs. This thing would have saved a bunch of time.
                Exactly or running out to the garage or worse outside if your doing a remodel for someone. Imagine condo's
                I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• cgallery
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Milwaukee, WI
                  • BT3K

Originally posted by cabinetman
                  Looks like a handy compact saw. One thing I did notice is that for crosscutting and miters, it looks good, but for ripping, it looks dangerous. Not much room between the blade and the fence, and hard to guide a through cut. Reminds me of the same problem as ripping with a RAS.
                  Same thought here. It would be nice if the had added some safety features (allowance for featherboard, for example) while ripping.

Does the saw have some sort of splitter on it?

Comment

• DrChas
                    Established Member
                    • Aug 2003
                    • Burlington, Vt, USA.

seems about like my compound miter saw.

I bought a Delta sliding compound miter saw when I put in my first wood floor (the "I can't do a major project without buying a new tool" syndrome). As far as I can tell it IS the saw for the job. Its reasonably portable, and I just set it up on a piece of cardboard in the room I was working in. After your done you get a finish blade for it, and your table saw becomes a dedicated ripping saw. Of course I bought mine about 10 years ago, so I suspect my saw would be a lot more expensive than this one.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2006
                      • Minneapolis, MN
                      • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Wow, that does look handy. Man, I wish I had one of those when I installed about about 2000 sq feet of flooring in a house my brother and I were working on. Definitely worth the $150...

Comment

Working...