• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cubsfan
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • CO.

Parallel Clamp Lengths

I need a couple of parallel clamps for a project, and what I'd really need (for this project) is probably 24-28".

Looks like the prices for a pair are:
    $79 -- 31"
    $86 -- 40"
    $101 -- 50"
    $101 -- 60"

I'm thinking that the 40" ones would encompass most applications, while not being to big to be unwieldy. Any thoughts? The 60" ones certainly seem too large for any projects I'll have coming up anytime soon.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Pipe clamps wouldn't work for you?

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I have two 24" and two 50", all bessey, and they are generally enough.

I have never needed anything bigger than the 50, but there are times I've felt the need for a pair of 2 1/2' or 3'. I think the 40" would suit you most of the times, but have to warn you : they are pretty bulky and heavy. Even the 24" are heavy. I have just one of the bar clamps from HF, and I'm looking to get a couple more of those, just for the weight (or lack thereof).
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

My clamp collection includes some 40" and 50" Besseys, and four 60" Stanleys (not as nice as the Besseys but hey ... $15/ea at Big Lots!). The 40s are the longest and heaviest I ever want to deal with unless the size of the assembly gives me no other choice.

So I think your instincts are correct on the length. For the modest price difference between the 31s and 40s, I would recommend the latter. The 40s will handle a 36" high cabinet or whatever whereas the 31s will not. But I wouldn't get the 50s unless you're sure you're going to need them.
        Larry

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

I just noticed that Woodcraft has a closeout special on the 24" & 40" Bessy K body clamp set.
          http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...ystem-Set.aspx

I get the most use out of my 24", and 31" K-Bodys. I don't use my 40" all that often. I do like my 12" ones the most. But a lot of my projects aren't always big. In my little shop I like using as small a clamp as I can. Having a 40" clamp sitcking out from the side of my bench makes maneuvering around in there difficult, sometimes painful.

Anything bigger I'll use my pipe clamps. A few good lengths of black pipe and some couplers can cover most situations.
          Erik

Comment

• vaking
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2005
            • Montclair, NJ, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100-1

I have a couple of 48" cabinetmasters and they are used rarely. I use all the time a collection of aluminum bar clamps. Couple of 24", 36" and 48" are in use all the time. They are much lighter than cabinetmasters and so much easier to use.
            Alex V

Comment

• drumpriest
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
              • Powermatic PM 2000

I have a bunch of 24" and 40" and a pair of 50", mostly Jet, but 2 24" bessey and 2 40" bessey (door kit).

The Bessey's are the work horses for working the wood, the Jets are the work horses for glue ups. They are much better, deeper jaw, heartier build quality, but they are heavier and slower to use. The Besseys are quick and good overall.

Most everything I do works with these sizes, but occasionally I need something more, thus the 50s, and pipe clamps. The parallel jaw clamps really are a nice step up from pipe clamps, especially in that they don't mar projects or leave stains in sensitive materials.
              Keith Z. Leonard
              Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...