• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

So my SKIL 1825 is not a safe router?

Last week I emailed Pat Warner to request a clear sub-base for my SKIL 1825 router (2.5 HP, kit had both plunge and non- housings). He does not list this router on his webpage, so I asked if he'd be willing to make one for me.

Hi reply : Don't make plates for routers with problems, sir. Have studied that tool; it has casting problems. Regretfully, I won't make plates for routers I don't use, study or deem a safety risk.

I had not realized my router had a safety issue. If anything, I rather liked this router because its power switch is very appropriately positioned, easily reached while routing.

True, it's not as easy as the P/C units to reduce or increase the height, and it is slightly bulkier than I'd prefer, but with a great router in my table, I rarely use this, so I was not looking to replace it anytime soon, particularly as it has a plunge unit.

Now with these comments from somebody of Pat Warner's stature, I shall be a bit wary of this router whenever I pick it up !
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

I don't read that as him saying it's unsafe, just that the castings aren't up to his standard. Looking at his site, he doesn't list any routers that are homeowner grade.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

So what does he mean by casting? That the machining is inconsistent for the router, or the bases (fixed / plunge)?
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• Hoover
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • USA.

Have you looked at Milescraft: http://www.milescraft.com/groups/tur...html#baseplate

The Lowes where I live have the line. So does Rockler.

Check out the page I provided, it has a 3 minute video showing how it works.
        No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

If I were in your shoes Radhak.. I would simply e-mail Pat back and ask specifically if he has determined the router is un-safe to use.. has castings that are not substanial.. etc. etc.. In other words ask Pat to clarify if he feels the router is un-safe to use period. I can think o nobody that has more experience with routers testing and making accessories than Pat.

Pat has always shot straight arrows from all the dealings I have seen and I consider him an excellent source of info on routers themselves. There is a specific reason he gave the answer he did and I would ask precisely what it is so you can make your own deternination as to how you proceed.

Good luck...
          Last edited by Guest; 02-16-2010, 03:27 PM.

Comment

• herb fellows
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • New York City
            • bt3100

I'm kind of surprised he didn't get more specific. While it is certainly an 'economy' router, it doesn't necessarily follow that it would be unsafe.I take 'casting problems' to mean he thinks the body of the router might crack, but that is certainly open to interpretation. Especially if it's potentially unsafe, there should be no room for guesswork. I would definitely ask him to elaborate on that, and I'd be interested in his answer also. Good luck!
            You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• eezlock
              • Feb 2006
              • Charlotte,N.C.
              • BT3100

Skil 1825 router

Have you given any thought to buying a sheet of acrylic (clear type) and making it yourself? It isn't too hard to do, and after you have made a couple
              yourself, you'll see it was worth the effort. If I want a different base for one
              of my routers, I make it the way I want it!

Comment

• cgallery
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2004
                • Milwaukee, WI
                • BT3K

That's weird. Although I'm not much one to speak, his answer is a little disjointed and doesn't quite make sense. I agree w/ everyone else, you need to ask for clarification.

Comment

• phi1l
                  • Oct 2009
                  • Madison, WI

I read that to mean there is variability in the base casting of various units with that model number, so any base he makes may not fit right. I would go with eezlock & make a custome one of your won

Comment

• sweensdv
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • WI
                    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Originally posted by phi1l
                    I read that to mean there is variability in the base casting of various units with that model number, so any base he makes may not fit right. I would go with eezlock & make a custome one of your won
                    That interpretation of Pat Warner's remarks makes the most sense to me. Nowhere did he claim that the particular router in question was unsafe he just said that he wouldn't make plates for routers that he doesn't "use, study or deem a safety risk". As far as the particular router in question was concerned, all he spoke to was the casting issue alone, he never specifically said it was unsafe.
                    Last edited by sweensdv; 02-16-2010, 07:31 PM.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                      cycling to health
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                      • BT3k 1999

I'd not worry about what Pat Warner says about your chosen router. From what I have seen Pat Warner is wrong about all sorts of things router related. He may simply be trying to explain why he does not sell a sub-base for your router. He seems to have made quite a living off of his writing and opinion based methods and jigs or accessories. He does have years of experience. Come to think of it the big three automakers have years of doing the same thing and look at their track record for being right. Wanna buy a vega?

If it were me I'd buy a sub-base from someone else such as MLCS or Holbren if he sells them or simply make my own. Either way you will have to accurately drill it to fit your base.
                      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2007
                        • Buena Park, CA
                        • CM 21829

Popular woodworking, at some point in the past, rated this router as "Best Value" in entry level. http://www.popularwoodworking.com/fe...uters.0803.pdf

I'd think there'd be some negative press on the web if safety were an issue - I searched for Skil 1825 defects, casting issues, etc. and got no hits. I'd be interested to know if Loring could find something on this.

This is where I keep my Skil 1825.
                        Attached Files
                        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• radhak
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2006
                          • Miramar, FL
                          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

All this began when I needed a sub-base with the right opening to fit P-C style bushings.

In a fit of DIY I went ahead and bought an acrylic sheet from HD (.22" thick), and realized I'd need to cut a stepped hole in it : a 1 3/8" from one side and a 1 3/16" from the other sides and I don't have forstner bits this large. Pat warner's .35" thick subbase seemed like a deal.

I could still buy from him : he sells blank pieces that I could drill myself. But I'm thinking shop-made again. Apart from buying forstner bits that large, I'm not sure of any other method of making such opening; need to shop for forstner bits...
                          Last edited by radhak; 02-16-2010, 11:42 PM.
                          - Aristotle

Comment

• Black wallnut
                            cycling to health
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                            • BT3k 1999

MLCS sells blank sub-bases with the P-C stepped hole. So do quite a few other outlets.
                            Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2007
                              • Buena Park, CA
                              • CM 21829

I think what you want is one of these then.

Whether you're a seasoned artisan or a novice enthusiast, shop Woodcraft for expert advice, unbeatable prices, superior brands, and a woodworking experience like no other. Explore our vast selection of premium wood, tools, and accessories, meticulously curated to fuel your passion for creating timeless pieces.

You won't regret it. Fits all my routers, including the 1825.
                              Bill in Buena Park

Comment

Working...