• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dewi1219
    Established Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Birmingham, AL

Darkside search

I got an offer I couldn't refuse on my BT3, so I sold it back before Christmas. Well, due to shortages of time and money I missed out on the R4511 clearance. I have the money now, but apparently they're gone for good. So now I don't know what to get. I know there is nothing comparable to Ridgid in the $299 price range. So I guess I'll have to spend a little more. Is there anything in a hybrid out there in the ~$600 price range worth having? The only one I've seen is the Craftsman 22114 when it (rarely) goes on sale. I don't know when that will happen again.

My dream saw (that I could afford in the next decade) is a Grizzly 1023 with the 7' rails etc. So maybe I should just save up until I can get it, but I really need a table saw soon.

I'm also watching Craigslist but there are no good saws available in my area right now. If anyone knows of anything decent in the AL / western GA / southern TN area I would appreciate the info.
  • Charlie
    Banned
    • Jul 2009

I don't know how handy of a person you are, or your knowledge of saws, but a used Delta or Rockwell Contractor's table saw is a good saw too look for. You can set one up pretty reasonably if you know what to look for, and then have a great saw that was made in America, for either a pro or hobbyist.
    Last edited by Charlie; 02-15-2010, 08:51 AM.

Comment

• dewi1219
      Established Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Birmingham, AL

As far as what to look for in a used table saw, my knowledge is probably fairly limited, but I *think* it would mostly be common sense. I can work on almost anything mechanical, so repairs / upgrades would be no problem. The problem is supply. I just haven't been able to find any decent saws for sale in my area lately. All I can find on Craigslist are Craftsman benchtop models for $200+, and the classifieds in the local paper are just empty. I guess there aren't enough woodworkers in my area.

Comment

• dewi1219
        Established Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Birmingham, AL

After a lot of searching I found a Delta "Platinum Edition" contractor saw with 30" Unifence and link belt upgrade. The guy is asking $475 for it, but since there are never any Delta saws for sale around here I don't know how good a deal this really is. It has an extra extension table with router plate cutout (which I want). The bad part is that it is "currently disassembled for easy transport". It's about a 2-hour drive away so I can't just hop over and look at it. Should I make him a tentative offer?

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

That Delta could be a decent deal if the saw is in nice shape and if he'll take less than $475. It's still an old style contractor saw with the outboard motor location and the association issues with that design.

Craftsman has a new model 21833 that's a full size cast iron hybrid/contractor saw with a built in mobile base with an MSRP of $550. Could be a decent buy on sale, but I really don't know too much about it other than kicking the tires at the store. It has an inboard belt drive induction motor, table mounted trunnions, riving knife, and steel wings. The fence is similar to the Ridgid 3650 fence, but IMO isn't quite in the same league as the Unifence. I've read some good things about it, and some assembly issues, which could be due to inexperienced assemblers.
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Charlie
            Banned
            • Jul 2009

If the saw is in really good condition it's probably worth the $475, a used Unifence alone is worth about $200.
            Last edited by Charlie; 02-15-2010, 08:49 AM.

Comment

• dewi1219
              Established Member
              • Dec 2005
              • Birmingham, AL

Originally posted by Knottscott
              Craftsman has a new model 21833 that's a full size cast iron hybrid/contractor saw with a built in mobile base with an MSRP of $550. Could be a decent buy on sale, but I really don't know too much about it other than kicking the tires at the store. It has an inboard belt drive induction motor, table mounted trunnions, riving knife, and steel wings. The fence is similar to the Ridgid 3650 fence, but IMO isn't quite in the same league as the Unifence. I've read some good things about it, and some assembly issues, which could be due to inexperienced assemblers.
              That looks like a pretty nice saw. Even if the fence is junk, it could probably get me by until I upgrade to the shop fox with 7' rails or something similar. It's also on sale right now for $450. Seems like quite a deal considering it includes the mobile base. Not the greatest deal ever, but it looks like an affordable saw that could be upgraded later as time and money allow. I don't think it's a hybrid though - it appears to be a contractor saw with a more enclosed stand than normal. That's ok for me though.

Comment

• Charlie
                Banned
                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by dewi1219
                That looks like a pretty nice saw. Even if the fence is junk. I don't think it's a hybrid though - it appears to be a contractor saw with a more enclosed stand than normal. That's ok for me though.
                Why buy a saw with a junk fence if you can get a saw with a very good fence for about the same price ? The other thing about the Craftsman is that I'm guessing that it's made by Orion ( Steel City ) and Steel City hasn't updated their website since 2008. I'd be afraid of parts availability in the years to come with any of the Orion saws that are made for Steel City, RIDGID, and Craftsman.
                Last edited by Charlie; 02-15-2010, 09:58 AM.

Comment

• JimD
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Lexington, SC.

Reviews on Craftsman's website are not so great but the main problem seems to be assembly. Some people talking about having to enlarge holes to get things to line up. Fence also gets mixed reviews. But if you are good at fixing things that aren't quite right, it is a apparently an enclosed base hybrid type saw for a good price. Extension tables are stamped steel but for this price that is what you would expect.

Jim

Comment

• dewi1219
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Birmingham, AL

Originally posted by Charlie
                    Why buy a saw with a junk fence if you can get a saw with a very good fence for about the same price ? The other thing about the Craftsman is that I'm guessing that it's made by Orion ( Steel City ) and Steel City hasn't updated their website since 2008. I'd be afraid of parts availability in the years to come with any of the Orion saws that are made for Steel City, RIDGID, and Craftsman.
                    That was sort of an exaggeration - I don't really think the fence is "junk", just maybe not the best. The reason I would buy the Craftsman over the Delta is because 1) the Delta is of unknown condition right now as it is a 2+ hour drive away and I haven't even seen pics of it yet and 2) the Craftsman is new with a warranty. I'm not a huge Craftsman fan anymore, and you may be right about parts availability, but that's been the deciding factor for Craftsman tools I've bought in the past. I've never had any trouble getting parts for any of the Craftsman stuff I've owned.

If the Delta is in good condition and he is willing to negotiate a little, I agree that it may be a great deal. But until I see it I just won't know. I would love to have a saw with a Unifence, but $475 is tough for me to swallow on a used contractor saw. It may be worth it, but it still gives me heartburn to think about it.
                    Last edited by dewi1219; 02-15-2010, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• Charlie
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2009

If the Delta is in good condition and he is willing to negotiate a little, I agree that it may be a great deal. But until I see it I just won't know. I would love to have a saw with a Unifence, but $475 is tough for me to swallow on a used contractor saw. It may be worth it, but it still gives me heartburn to think about it.
                      I guess the way I see it is that if someday you ever plan to sell the saw, I think the Delta would be the better investment. I would press the guy on the Delta for more info if possible, how much use the saw has seen, pictures, etc. At his asking price it probably won't be around long.
                      Last edited by Charlie; 02-15-2010, 01:25 PM.

Comment

• dewi1219
                        Established Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Birmingham, AL

Originally posted by Charlie
                        I guess the way I see it is that if someday you ever plan to sell the saw, I think the Delta would be the better investment. I would press the guy on the Delta for more info if possible, how much use the saw has seen, pictures, etc. At his asking price it probably won't be around long.
                        I agree on the investment part. Another bonus would be that I could always upgrade to a bare bones cabinet saw if I wanted and swap the Unifence over to it.

I talked to the guy a few minutes ago, and he seems like an honest person. He said that the saw was disassembled when he moved several years ago and that it hasn't been put back together or operated since. He doesn't have any pictures, but he says that he always kept it waxed and it has very minimal surface rust. I told him that I was trying to find something at/around $400 and he indicated that he would probably take that much for it. Looks like I'll be making the drive in the next day or two if I have the time (my schedule is pretty crazy this week.) My main concern is that with it being disassembled I can't test it to make sure it works.

To add to the dilemma, there is another, almost identical but slightly older saw available. It is in the same area (2 hours away) and also has the Unifence and 32" extension table. But this one is only $300. It has photos and looks to be in excellent shape, but it is older than the first. It is also fully assembled and could be tested.
                        Last edited by dewi1219; 02-15-2010, 01:40 PM.

Comment

• Charlie
                          Banned
                          • Jul 2009

To add to the dilemma, there is another, almost identical but slightly older saw available. It is in the same area (2 hours away) and also has the Unifence and 32" extension table. But this one is only $300. It has photos and looks to be in excellent shape, but it is older than the first. It is also fully assembled and could be tested.
                          On the second saw, it might be a 34-444 which is what I have. It came with a 30" Unifence and a mobile base makeing it a 34-445X package. I paid $900 for the saw new in 1995. It's American made as well is the Unifence and mobile base.
                          Last edited by Charlie; 02-15-2010, 02:07 PM.

Comment

• dewi1219
                            Established Member
                            • Dec 2005
                            • Birmingham, AL

Charlie,
                            Here is a pic of the 2nd saw - Is this the one you have? For $300 (or less) it seems like a good deal unless I'm missing something. That "mobile base" would have to go though - I'm sure that's not the one yours came with.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by dewi1219; 02-15-2010, 02:14 PM.

Comment

• Charlie
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2009

Here is a picture of the saw I have, it looks just like the 2nd saw you spotted. As you can see I relocated and replaced the tiny toggle switch in the cabinet collecting dust with a paddle switch that I mounted under the fence rail, the removeable oufeed table I built useing a Delta 50-390 outfeed table hardware kit, I added the Fenner Drives PowerTwist link belt, and I designed what I believe is the best dust collection setup you'll find for these saws, and also doesn't interfear when tilting the blade. Incase your wondering, the blue Delta graphic on the side of the saw I added, it's a floor graphic from Delta. At the time it seemed like a good place to put it. Anyway, you should be calling that guy with the second saw for $300 and see if he can hold it for you till you get there ASAP ! Deals like that are fairly rare.
                              Last edited by Charlie; 02-15-2010, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Working...