• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ryan.s
    • Feb 2006
    • So Cal
    • Ridgid TS3650

Infinity Super General Blade

I would love to hear some opinions on this blade from those that have used it. My current go to blade is the Forrest 40 tooth thin kerf and I like it. I've been using the Infinity dadonator and have been impressed enough to take a look at the super general. I guess my concern is my TS3650 is only 1 & 1/2 HP and am wondering if I'm better off by staying with a TK blade.

Thanks!
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

HI Ryan - I've had an Infinity Super General for close to 2 years now and have very impressed with how cleanly it cuts, how well it's made, and how large the carbide is. To date, I've tried close to 60 various saw blades, many of them fall into the 40T & 50T general purpose/combo blade class, and many of them have been excellent, but none cuts cleaner than the Super General, and none give a better impression of construction quality. Many like the WWII, TS2000, Gold Medal, Infinity "General", and DW7657 cut very similarly, but the Super General cuts cleanly enough that I can distinctly recognize the polished cut it leaves. The 30° Hi-ATB grind excels in crosscuts and plywood, and the double side grind excels at polished edges in all cuts. It's not quite as efficient in thicker ripping as the standard 10°-20° ATB 40T grinds, but it does well within its intended range. There's never a free lunch, and downside of this design is that the tips can abrade a bit more rapidly than some other grinds, and it can be less forgiving and more prone to burning in thicker materials if the something is not quite right with the alignment or technique. Keeping the blade clean, aligned, and at proper height can negate any additional burning tendencies, and for hobby work it should still hold a nice edge for a year or two between sharpenings.

For thicker ripping, I was a fan of TK blades with my smaller saw. A good TK simply requires less power when the going gets tough, but the Super General should do well in most of the common size stock you're likely to cut. I think I'd be doing you a disservice recommending against it, but as an alternative if you decide against it, the Freud P410 Fusion is now available as a thin kerf, and has some similar design parameters as the Super General. Also, Forrest now offers a 48T 25° ATB grind that's pushing the boundaries of a Hi-ATB grind, that I believe is also available as a TK... I believe this blade is Forrest's answer to the Super General and Fusion.

Edit:
    A timely check of my email found the Super General on sale for $89.90.
    Last edited by Knottscott; 02-14-2010, 08:27 AM. Reason: sale info
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I also have the Super General. It is by far the best cross-cut blade I have ever used. The 30* angle leaves a glass smooth cut with only 40 T and it is better than any 60 T or 80 T I have used. It just isn't a ripper with that angle and side grind. I strickly use this blade for cross-cutting when I will have end grain exposed as on table tops for A & C style.

With that said.. I also have the Infinity General which has the standard 20* ATB angle it gets all the remainer of my cross-cuts and a few rips but.. I run 20 T Amana Euro rip blades for ripping. I bought that older standard General from Scott after he got it to test. Great blade also with much carbide for re-sharpening.

I change blades an average of 4-5 times a day as I am in the shop daily. IMO.. no 40 T is going to get the job done quicker or more efficiently ripping than a dedicated flat tooth rip blade. As for smooth edges on rip blades they are good but not ready for glue up by any means. I rip 1/8" proud (over) then take it to my jointer for a 1/16" pass on each side.

Good luck...

Comment

• ryan.s
        • Feb 2006
        • So Cal
        • Ridgid TS3650

Thanks for the comments guys. I guess deep down inside I knew I was going to pick up one of these blades but just needed that extra push. Just got through placing my order.

Comment

Working...